POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some aid in physics required... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Some aid in physics required... (Message 32 to 41 of 41)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Re: Some aid in physics required...
Date: 25 Feb 2004 09:35:25
Message: <403cb2ad$1@news.povray.org>
> > Take, for example, the distance an object has dropped in free fall, the
> > formula is
> > h = g*t^2 / 2
> > There's nothing like air stopping the falling in this formula, it's
entirely
> > simplified, but still relevant. It just assumes that there's no
friction. I
> > was asking for the same: in a no friction-system, what's the rate of
> > slowdown for an object moving uphill?
>
> As always the key to solving a problem is to understand it.
SNIP

I don't get what you're trying to tell me, and I'm not sure that you got
what I've been trying to tell you. We have real world issues and simulation
issues that are independant of each other. Something that happens in a
simulation doesn't require the real world to behave that way and vice versa.

Now, my system can solve the problem of rolling uphill via tons of impacts
and it does look right. But how about just a formula to roll uphill,
independant of impacts? I was at a loss of the formula, not the issue
itself.

Regards,
Tim
--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

>>> Take, for example, the distance an object has dropped in free fall, the
>>> formula is
>>> h = g*t^2 / 2
>>> There's nothing like air stopping the falling in this formula, it's
>>> entirely
>>> simplified, but still relevant. It just assumes that there's no
>>> friction. I
>>> was asking for the same: in a no friction-system, what's the rate of
>>> slowdown for an object moving uphill?
>>
>>As always the key to solving a problem is to understand it.
>
> SNIP
>
> I don't get what you're trying to tell me, and I'm not sure that you got
> what I've been trying to tell you. We have real world issues and simulation
> issues that are independant of each other. Something that happens in a
> simulation doesn't require the real world to behave that way and vice versa.

Now i am stuck, could you please read the question i quoted from you
above again and tell me if i answered your question or not?  If not
please specify what is missing.

I have the impression that when you don't like the answer you get you
simply say that's not what you are trying to do, that you don't want to
simulate reality at all - fine, but then why do you ask the question in
the first place?

> Now, my system can solve the problem of rolling uphill via tons of impacts
> and it does look right. But how about just a formula to roll uphill,
> independant of impacts? I was at a loss of the formula, not the issue
> itself.

I did not talk about impacts in my answer at all.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message