POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some aid in physics required... : Re: Some aid in physics required... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some aid in physics required...
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 25 Feb 2004 11:12:23
Message: <403cc967@news.povray.org>
<"Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) nolights.de>> wrote:

> irregularities in the reflection-direction etc). But a lying particle will
> do hundreds of passes through the loop as it will quickly bounce onto the
> surface (due to gravity) several times during the time that's passing per
> frame. That's when my System almost hangs up

So if I understand you correctly, every time a particle bounces on a surface,
you remove some kinectic energy form it by lowering it's velocity perpedicular
to the surface.  Like v_new = -0.8*v_perpendicular + v_parallel.
Of course this leads to the situation that each bounce will get smaller (and
will also take a shorter time) than the previous one.

One solution to this would be, that when v_perpedicular is lower than a certain
threshold just use v_new = -v_perpendicular + v_parallel, so the bounces will
stop getting smaller. With the correct threshold the bounces should get so
small that you just can't see them, but not smaller than that.

Lutz-Peter