POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Code Conditional on Quality Setting Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Making Code Conditional on Quality Setting (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: wacampbell
Subject: Making Code Conditional on Quality Setting
Date: 29 Sep 2003 11:30:02
Message: <web.3f784f827beb29f5458b4d510@news.povray.org>
I am interested in making some of the code in my scene file conditional on
the quality setting.  To speed up rendering, I intend to replace my
detailed models with simple cube shapes when quality=0.   I have in mind to
do something like this:

#if( Quality == 0 )
     box{ ... }
#else
     object{ DetailedModel }
#end

The word Quality doesn't seem to be recognized as a valid variable.  Does
anyone have any thoughts on how I might accomplish this.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Post a reply to this message

> I am interested in making some of the code in my scene file conditional on
> the quality setting.

Unless you have an extremely complex scene, this will not really give you
much of a benefit...

> #if( Quality == 0 )
>      box{ ... }
> #else
>      object{ DetailedModel }
> #end
>
> The word Quality doesn't seem to be recognized as a valid variable.

Why should it be recognised?  And how did you get the idea it would be
recognised?

>  Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might accomplish this.

You can declare variables on the command-line.  How to do this is explained
in the manual.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

>I am interested in making some of the code in my scene file conditional on
>the quality setting.  To speed up rendering, I intend to replace my
>The word Quality doesn't seem to be recognized as a valid variable.  Does
>anyone have any thoughts on how I might accomplish this.

As far as I know there is no such variable.

I do this also, although I usually do it as simply on/off. If I'm doing
a complex scene, I'll have a really simple version of each
time-consuming object (such as cones for each mountain peak) as well as
the real version.

Something like this:

#declare FINAL=1;
#declare DRAFT=0;

#declare renderVersion=FINAL;
#declare treeVersion=DRAFT;
#declare mountainVersion=FINAL;
#declare NakedMoleRatVersion=DRAFT;
etc....

Then, in the code:

#if (renderVersion | treeVersion)
//do the real tree
#else
//do the simple tree
#end

#if (renderVersion | mountainVersion)
//do the real mountain
#else
//do the simple mountain
#end

#if (renderVersion | NakedMoleRatVersion)
//do the real naked mole rat
#else
//do the simple rat
#end

So if I set renderVersion to FINAL, then everything gets done for
"real"; if I set it to DRAFT, then only the items whose variable is set
to FINAL get done for real, everything else is draft.

Jerry
--
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've
depleted the lake."--It Isn't Murder If They're Yankees

Post a reply to this message