POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Code Conditional on Quality Setting : Re: Making Code Conditional on Quality Setting Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Code Conditional on Quality Setting
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 29 Sep 2003 13:18:41
Message: <3f786971@news.povray.org>

news:3f78659c$1@news.povray.org...
> I beg to differ.  This can be a HUGE benifit.
>
> Not so much with actual shapes, as with textures,
> and light sources.  Having a "rough draft" declaration
> and using it to determine whether you'd like just a flat
> gray wall, or a really complicated brick texture complete
> with finish, bump maps, and color maps can cut your
> render time by more than half.

That's what the current quality settings already do...
The original poster asked for the quality settings to be usable for other
scene elements. The fact is that, when working one a moderately complex
scene, it's just more flexible to create one's own switches and dummies to
manage this, including textures, shapes, lights, radiosity, media etc. What
one considers to be part of a rough draft is basically scene dependent. I
may very well fine tune the radiosity using a dummy object with high rad
settings, and fine tune the corresponding complex object with low rad
settings etc.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com