POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Book on POV Ray Question about Use of Modelers Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:02 EDT (-0400)
  New Book on POV Ray Question about Use of Modelers (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Mitchell Waite
Subject: New Book on POV Ray Question about Use of Modelers
Date: 18 Jan 2002 11:02:35
Message: <3c48471b@news.povray.org>
I have been considering using Moray as the tool for modeling since it allows
on to focus on the scene rather than the statements. The idea would be to
teach the statements but at each statement show how to do the same thing in
Moray. I would like to hear opinions on this idea. I have been told the most
people DO NOT use modeling tools and that mixing up pure pov ray statements
and a modeling program would be useless for many users. I was thinking the
Moray parts would be in gray boxes inside the pages so they could be
ignored, but that may still turn some people off. Comments?

thanks

Mitch

Post a reply to this message

> I have been considering using Moray as the tool for modeling since it
allows
> on to focus on the scene rather than the statements. The idea would be to
> teach the statements but at each statement show how to do the same thing
in
> Moray. I would like to hear opinions on this idea. I have been told the
most
> people DO NOT use modeling tools and that mixing up pure pov ray
statements
> and a modeling program would be useless for many users. I was thinking the
> Moray parts would be in gray boxes inside the pages so they could be
> ignored, but that may still turn some people off. Comments?

personnally think the pov script itself is the biggest turn off for pov
newbies, it also has to be noted that pov script while being very suitable
for some projects it totally unsuited to others.

Moray offers the closest graphical representation of pov script, but there
are times when you need to turn to other tools, such as sPatch or rhino -
both of which export directly to pov and moray

--

Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

I've always had a problem with Moray, primarily because it
uses reverse (right handed) polar coordinates, and I find
the syntax output difficult to read. I think it would be better
to do the same thing using sPatch or Hamapatch.

HB

"Mitchell Waite" <mit### [at] dnaicom> wrote in message
> I have been considering using Moray as the tool for modeling since it
allows
> on to focus on the scene rather than the statements. The idea would be to
> teach the statements but at each statement show how to do the same thing
in
> Moray. I would like to hear opinions on this idea. I have been told the
most
> people DO NOT use modeling tools and that mixing up pure pov ray
statements
> and a modeling program would be useless for many users. I was thinking the
> Moray parts would be in gray boxes inside the pages so they could be
> ignored, but that may still turn some people off. Comments?
>
> thanks
>
> Mitch

Post a reply to this message