POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Book on POV Ray Question about Use of Modelers : Re: New Book on POV Ray Question about Use of Modelers Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Book on POV Ray Question about Use of Modelers
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 Jan 2002 12:36:47
Message: <3c485d2f$1@news.povray.org>

3c48471b@news.povray.org...
> I have been told the most people DO NOT use modeling tools and that mixing
up pure
> pov ray statements and a modeling program would be useless for many users.
> I was thinking the Moray parts would be in gray boxes inside the pages so
they could be
> ignored, but that may still turn some people off. Comments?

1. From the many past discussions here about modeling tools vs scripting, we
can safely assume that while external modelers can be good products (moray
but also blender, spatch, hamapatch, anim8tor, amapi, rhino etc.), useful
enough for many users (those who don't like to code) and sometimes the only
way to get things done (organic shapes), it's impossible to really unleash
povray's power without learning the scene description language. And some of
the coolest povray stuff is not implemented in these modelers yet. For this
reason, I believe that any useful povray book should focus on the SDL.
Modelers could be part of the book but they should have their own section.

2. I think that editing a book about Povray is a task that requires a good
knowledge of the current state of the software and of the current nature of
its users. It has changed a lot since the pioneer years ! My friendly
suggestion would be that you hang around in these groups for a few months to
get a clearer picture of what people actually need.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com