POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Perspective Grid Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Perspective Grid (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: David Vincent-Jones
Subject: Perspective Grid
Date: 9 Nov 1999 13:51:27
Message: <38286d2f@news.povray.org>
I have been putting a perspective grid in my scene that floats just clear of
the floor.
I use it as a visual measuring tool in the final image.
Currently I have used a grid composed of small cylinders but find that the
processing time is substantial and I am looking for an alternate idea.
Has anybody made a similar grid?

Post a reply to this message

> I have been putting a perspective grid in my scene that floats just clear of
> the floor.
> I use it as a visual measuring tool in the final image.
> Currently I have used a grid composed of small cylinders but find that the
> processing time is substantial and I am looking for an alternate idea.
> Has anybody made a similar grid?

You might try a crossing gradient on a very thin box instead.
Something untested like this:

       box { -1,1
   texture {
   pigment { gradient x
 color_map {
             [.45 rgbf 1][.45 rgb 1][.55 rgb 1][.55 rgbf 1]
           }
             scale .1
           }
    finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 }
           }
   texture {
   pigment { gradient z
 color_map {
             [.45 rgbf 1][.45 rgb 1][.55 rgb 1][.55 rgbf 1]
           }
             scale .1
           }
    finish { ambient 1.5 diffuse 0 }
           }
             scale <20,.1,20>
           }

> I have been putting a perspective grid in my scene that floats just clear of
> the floor.
> I use it as a visual measuring tool in the final image.
> Currently I have used a grid composed of small cylinders but find that the
> processing time is substantial and I am looking for an alternate idea.
> Has anybody made a similar grid?

	I haven't, but if I were to do one, I'd use a plane with a gradient
layered texture, like:

texture {
  pigment {
    gradient x
    pigment_map {
      [ 0.9 color rgbf 0 transmit 1 ]
      [ 0.9 color Blue ]
    }
  }
}
texture {
  pigment {
    gradient z
    color_map {
      [ 0.9 color rgbf 0 transmit 1 ]
      [ 0.9 color Blue ]
    }
  }
}

		Jerome

--

* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *

Post a reply to this message

>         I haven't, but if I were to do one, I'd use a plane with a gradient
> layered texture, like:

I would recommend a thin box instead of a plane because the bounding is more
efficient and they render faster.