POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface Online Tutorial - I have a website now Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface Online Tutorial - I have a website now (Message 16 to 25 of 35)
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Re: Isosurface Online Tutorial - I have a website now
Date: 24 Aug 1999 06:55:59
Message: <37c27a3f@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <Chr### [at] compuservecom> wrote:
: bounded_by does work differently for isosurfaces, it creates a shape
: with a closed surface where it intersects the bounding shape, while
: clipped by works the same but leaves that area open.

  Is it so? Then I really don't like it. If bounded_by works in one way
with one object and in other way with other object, that definitely is not
a good thing. Bounded_by should always work as a bounded_by, not as an
intesection CSG.
  Using bounded_by for other reasons than limiting the object is quite rare,
but not impossible. If it doesn't work equally for all objects, you are
breaking the functionality of the povray engine.
  If I want to clip an object and add new surfaces to the clipped parts, I
use intersection. If I want to clip and object without adding new surfaces
I will use clipped_by. For bounding I will use bounding_by and I will expect
it to work as with all the other objects (for example with quartics, which
also are isosurfaces).
  Sometimes you _want_ the side-effects of bounding objects (for example
for the so-called 'vampire' or 'anti-vampire' objects).

  If I know povteam, I will not be surprised if they changed the behaviour
of bounded_by for isosurfaces to work exactly like for other objects in
pov3.5. I approve this idea. I don't like the idea of bounded_by working
in different ways for different objects.