POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some FEATURES I would like to see Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  Some FEATURES I would like to see (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: mdebar
Subject: Some FEATURES I would like to see
Date: 7 Aug 1998 13:23:32
Message: <35cb2a04.0@news.povray.org>
Some features I would like to see

I use POV since v2 and I am always very happy to see it
progress. I am particulary pleased to see unified patterns
for everything. The new media feature is great. Macros and #local
are fantastic. But there is no end to evolution, so here is my
wish list, with carefully collected items. Some of them are nearly
cosmetic, others verge on the impossible.

Pure Pov Features (some hard, some easy):

* Syntax to access the existing POV engine root solvers (so I don't
  have to finish this root solving macro :) ). This would be
  great for interpolation and animations;

* Accept .ini options switch in .pov files (so that you can, e.g.,
  adapt different qualities or image formats with switch instructions),
  or pov declarations in .ini files ;

* Calculate images formats (+h and +w) automatically from up and right
  instruction, a Pixel_Ratio switch and either height, width or number
  of pixels ;

* Free a real spline object, declarable, reusable, and if 4d, usable
  for animation paths (by the way, aren't color_map & co some kind of
  spline ?);

* More animation support, e.g. .avi files output;

* Multispline surface generation;

* Add camera sensibility adjustement, with sensibility_map for
  non-linear reaction ; and eventually an auto-sensibilty setting.
  (see Photoshop's Levels command);

* Accentuated character support everywhere: declares, filenames,
  filepath;

* Why are irid_wavelength and number_of_waves global settings and not
  local ones ?

* Blobs: cones component and surface components (triangle would be
  favorite for a begining, with different strength for each vertex);
  also auto-joining option to remove joint swelling;

* Some additional functions (well, I macroed them anyway) :
  fractionnal part, sign, vector str, round to nearest integer and
  A^B notation in place of pow(A,B);

* A real though one (impossible would be a better description) :
  sound-tracing... urgh.

GUI Features:

* A rectangle selection tool to easily set start_row, start_collumn,...

* Searsh and replace in all project files (I mean all files in a
  directory);

* More shorcuts keys (ctrl-o, -shift-o, -w, -z, -shift-s ; ...);

* Please remove (or replace) this disgracefull wavy grayscale
  POV-Ray banner. (But the 3.1 toolbar buttons are much better,
  really good);

* Support for mouse wheel.

Documentation:

* Separate Tutorial(s) and Reference parts;

* The general index is usefull, but I think a
  partial index directing to important sections
  would be much better as a generic opening page.

I know this really is an awfull lot of work.
I want to thank you very much for POV-Ray,
which is really grreeat. Keep it going!

P.S. I had to use 3DSMAX2 - I prefer pov!

thank you  thank you  thank you  thank you  thank you  thank you

 THANK YOU FOR MAKING POV-RAY

 I USE IT ALL THE TIME

   Sincerely,

   Philippe

P.P.S. I am not a regular newsgroup user - if you reply to my
message, I am _very_ unlikely to see it. You can always email me at
phi### [at] hotmailcom

Post a reply to this message

>I use POV since v2 and I am always very happy to see it
>progress. I am particulary pleased to see unified patterns
>for everything. The new media feature is great. Macros and #local
>are fantastic. But there is no end to evolution, so here is my
>wish list, with carefully collected items. Some of them are nearly
>cosmetic, others verge on the impossible.
>

>Pure Pov Features (some hard, some easy):
>
>* Accept .ini options switch in .pov files (so that you can, e.g.,
>  adapt different qualities or image formats with switch instructions),
>  or pov declarations in .ini files ;

Please note that not all platforms use ini files directly. The Mac version does not
need them (but supports them), we have a very nice dialog to set *all* options, no
need for stoneage ini files ;-)

>* More animation support, e.g. .avi files output;

This is a good idea - however, avi is oudated and not (very) platform independent. But
again look at the Mac version: QuickTime Movie output, any kind of compression you
might want, from simple indeo to motion-jpeg, to mpeg (if you have an encoder) to
sorensen video high compression anything is available with QuickTime, and you can view
it on MacOS as well as WinDOS 95,98 and NT. And QuickTime is the future base for the
MPEG 4 standard.

>* Accentuated character support everywhere: declares, filenames,
>  filepath;

Well, this would force unicode source files...wouldn't it?

>GUI Features:
WinDOS GUI features :-)

>* A rectangle selection tool to easily set start_row, start_collumn,...

Look at the Mac version, we have got it!

>* Searsh and replace in all project files (I mean all files in a
>  directory);

Still missing in the Mac version :-(

>* More shorcuts keys (ctrl-o, -shift-o, -w, -z, -shift-s ; ...);

Nearly all menu commands are accessible via shortcuts. Windows can be controled by
them as well (scrolling the image, etc).

>  POV-Ray banner. (But the 3.1 toolbar buttons are much better,
>  really good);

:-( The Mac version has no toolbar yet...

>* Support for mouse wheel.

Personally I think its the most stupid invention Microsoft ever made!!!!!

>I know this really is an awfull lot of work.
>I want to thank you very much for POV-Ray,
>which is really grreeat. Keep it going!

:-)

>P.S. I had to use 3DSMAX2 - I prefer pov!

I hate WinDOS, I will *always* prefer my Mac! :-)

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

Post a reply to this message

>P.S. I had to use 3DSMAX2 - I prefer pov!

You're my friend !  The truth finally comes up !

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message