POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some FEATURES I would like to see : Some FEATURES I would like to see Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:30:49 EDT (-0400)
  Some FEATURES I would like to see
From: mdebar
Date: 7 Aug 1998 13:23:32
Message: <35cb2a04.0@news.povray.org>
Some features I would like to see

I use POV since v2 and I am always very happy to see it
progress. I am particulary pleased to see unified patterns
for everything. The new media feature is great. Macros and #local
are fantastic. But there is no end to evolution, so here is my
wish list, with carefully collected items. Some of them are nearly
cosmetic, others verge on the impossible.

Pure Pov Features (some hard, some easy):

* Syntax to access the existing POV engine root solvers (so I don't
  have to finish this root solving macro :) ). This would be
  great for interpolation and animations;

* Accept .ini options switch in .pov files (so that you can, e.g.,
  adapt different qualities or image formats with switch instructions),
  or pov declarations in .ini files ;

* Calculate images formats (+h and +w) automatically from up and right
  instruction, a Pixel_Ratio switch and either height, width or number
  of pixels ;

* Free a real spline object, declarable, reusable, and if 4d, usable
  for animation paths (by the way, aren't color_map & co some kind of
  spline ?);

* More animation support, e.g. .avi files output;

* Multispline surface generation;

* Add camera sensibility adjustement, with sensibility_map for
  non-linear reaction ; and eventually an auto-sensibilty setting.
  (see Photoshop's Levels command);

* Accentuated character support everywhere: declares, filenames,
  filepath;

* Why are irid_wavelength and number_of_waves global settings and not
  local ones ?

* Blobs: cones component and surface components (triangle would be
  favorite for a begining, with different strength for each vertex);
  also auto-joining option to remove joint swelling;

* Some additional functions (well, I macroed them anyway) :
  fractionnal part, sign, vector str, round to nearest integer and
  A^B notation in place of pow(A,B);

* A real though one (impossible would be a better description) :
  sound-tracing... urgh.

GUI Features:

* A rectangle selection tool to easily set start_row, start_collumn,...

* Searsh and replace in all project files (I mean all files in a
  directory);

* More shorcuts keys (ctrl-o, -shift-o, -w, -z, -shift-s ; ...);

* Please remove (or replace) this disgracefull wavy grayscale
  POV-Ray banner. (But the 3.1 toolbar buttons are much better,
  really good);

* Support for mouse wheel.

Documentation:

* Separate Tutorial(s) and Reference parts;

* The general index is usefull, but I think a
  partial index directing to important sections
  would be much better as a generic opening page.

I know this really is an awfull lot of work.
I want to thank you very much for POV-Ray,
which is really grreeat. Keep it going!

P.S. I had to use 3DSMAX2 - I prefer pov!

thank you  thank you  thank you  thank you  thank you  thank you

 THANK YOU FOR MAKING POV-RAY

 I USE IT ALL THE TIME

   Sincerely,

   Philippe

P.P.S. I am not a regular newsgroup user - if you reply to my
message, I am _very_ unlikely to see it. You can always email me at
phi### [at] hotmailcom