POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some FEATURES I would like to see : Re: Some FEATURES I would like to see Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some FEATURES I would like to see
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Aug 1998 14:12:07
Message: <35cb3567.0@news.povray.org>
In article <35cb2a04.0@news.povray.org> , "mdebar" <mic### [at] fundpacbe> wrote:

>Some features I would like to see
>
>I use POV since v2 and I am always very happy to see it
>progress. I am particulary pleased to see unified patterns
>for everything. The new media feature is great. Macros and #local
>are fantastic. But there is no end to evolution, so here is my
>wish list, with carefully collected items. Some of them are nearly
>cosmetic, others verge on the impossible.
>

>Pure Pov Features (some hard, some easy):
>
>* Accept .ini options switch in .pov files (so that you can, e.g.,
>  adapt different qualities or image formats with switch instructions),
>  or pov declarations in .ini files ;

Please note that not all platforms use ini files directly. The Mac version does not
need them (but supports them), we have a very nice dialog to set *all* options, no
need for stoneage ini files ;-)

>* More animation support, e.g. .avi files output;

This is a good idea - however, avi is oudated and not (very) platform independent. But
again look at the Mac version: QuickTime Movie output, any kind of compression you
might want, from simple indeo to motion-jpeg, to mpeg (if you have an encoder) to
sorensen video high compression anything is available with QuickTime, and you can view
it on MacOS as well as WinDOS 95,98 and NT. And QuickTime is the future base for the
MPEG 4 standard.

>* Accentuated character support everywhere: declares, filenames,
>  filepath;

Well, this would force unicode source files...wouldn't it?

>GUI Features:
WinDOS GUI features :-)

>* A rectangle selection tool to easily set start_row, start_collumn,...

Look at the Mac version, we have got it!

>* Searsh and replace in all project files (I mean all files in a
>  directory);

Still missing in the Mac version :-(

>* More shorcuts keys (ctrl-o, -shift-o, -w, -z, -shift-s ; ...);

Nearly all menu commands are accessible via shortcuts. Windows can be controled by
them as well (scrolling the image, etc).

>  POV-Ray banner. (But the 3.1 toolbar buttons are much better,
>  really good);

:-( The Mac version has no toolbar yet...

>* Support for mouse wheel.

Personally I think its the most stupid invention Microsoft ever made!!!!!

>I know this really is an awfull lot of work.
>I want to thank you very much for POV-Ray,
>which is really grreeat. Keep it going!

:-)

>P.S. I had to use 3DSMAX2 - I prefer pov!

I hate WinDOS, I will *always* prefer my Mac! :-)

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom