POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Hows it all going- 4days to go Server Time: 29 Sep 2020 20:28:18 GMT
  Hows it all going- 4days to go (Message 1 to 10 of 14)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Vladimir
Subject: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 10 Oct 2004 22:25:00
Message: <web.4169b5c44e24860f6fe311d50@news.povray.org>
Hi

Im just doing some final tweaking to my image. Its not nearly as good as I
had first planned but I guess changing computers and moving house were
always going to take a lot of time. I have given up on my media idea, dont
think I have enough time left to render it with that. My original plan was
to use every feature in povray but I kinna abandoned that after some
experiments.

How is everybody else getting on?

I have a couple of questions:
If instead of rendering our image and then seperate views we just want to
render one big view how big does it have to be? 12800 *10240?

also, and this might be best on another board but hey,

Is absorbtion media meant to affect the color of the shadows it casts?
if so I have some mor tweaking to do.

Thanks
Peter
From: jute
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 11 Oct 2004 13:30:01
Message: <web.416a8a8e5a9c4f9867c1c3ff0@news.povray.org>
"Vladimir" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> How is everybody else getting on?

<whimper>
I don't know.
</whimper>

Summer ended, and seeming abruptly I was stripped from both a cozy
three-month holiday AND a three weeks' non-stop rendering session into Real
Life, with a new employer and no permanent apartment yet.  In other words,
I've kept busy and had sadly little time for POV-Ray.  The good thing is
that I got my entry pretty much finished before all this began, and all
that remains is preparing the actual competition entries.  Now, I had two
versions rendered over the weekend at 6000x6000 and IF everything went well
(I haven't seen the results yet), I think I made it.  Otherwise I see a
couple of sleepless nights ahead :)

Of course, if I could've continued my holiday for a two more weeks I
probably could've participated with two entries, but probably it's better
this way.  I like my image, and frankly that's not something I'm used to
(normally I just like POV-Ray :))

But it sure has been FFFFFUN!  And what a learning experience!

> If instead of rendering our image and then seperate views we just want to
> render one big view how big does it have to be? 12800 *10240?

4000x4000 would give you everything required by the rules (you can scale
(and crop) it down to 1280x960 or 1228800 pixels; and you could crop
800x800 detail views off it).

> Is absorbtion media meant to affect the color of the shadows it casts?
> if so I have some mor tweaking to do.

Sure.  For white light, a blue fog should create yellow shadows.

I don't know what you're trying to do, but here's a free hint: use an
inverse of your light source's color as the absorption parameter.  For
example, light_source { 1 color Gold } media { absorption 1/Gold } should
give you gray shadows 'under' the media.

--
jussi.kantola
From: Fernando G  del Cueto
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 12 Oct 2004 05:10:56
Message: <416b6760$1@news.povray.org>
Almost one month ago I was very excited about it and working on my 
scene. Then I had to defend my master thesis and then I had to catch up 
with the work I had left behind. Then received two relatives for a few 
days and now I ran out of time. It sucks badly. I really wanted to 
participate. I'll try to execute my project anyways.

Fernando

Vladimir wrote:
> Hi
> 
> Im just doing some final tweaking to my image. Its not nearly as good as I
> had first planned but I guess changing computers and moving house were
> always going to take a lot of time. I have given up on my media idea, dont
> think I have enough time left to render it with that. My original plan was
> to use every feature in povray but I kinna abandoned that after some
> experiments.
> 
> How is everybody else getting on?
> 
> I have a couple of questions:
> If instead of rendering our image and then seperate views we just want to
> render one big view how big does it have to be? 12800 *10240?
> 
> also, and this might be best on another board but hey,
> 
> Is absorbtion media meant to affect the color of the shadows it casts?
> if so I have some mor tweaking to do.
> 
> Thanks
> Peter
> 
>
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 01:19:38
Message: <416c82aa$1@news.povray.org>
Vladimir wrote:
...
> How is everybody else getting on?
...

I'm afraid that I won't make it in time...

All the time since I read about this contest I have been working
on some tools (macros that now occupies more than 10000 lines of
code) that will enable me to make the image I see before me.

But in the last 2 weeks, real life has gotten in the way.

=(

-- 
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net
http://subcube.com
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 02:33:01
Message: <416c93dd$1@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote in message 
news:416c82aa$1@news.povray.org...
> Vladimir wrote:
> ...
>> How is everybody else getting on?
> ...
>
> I'm afraid that I won't make it in time...
>
> All the time since I read about this contest I have been working
> on some tools (macros that now occupies more than 10000 lines of
> code) that will enable me to make the image I see before me.
>
> But in the last 2 weeks, real life has gotten in the way.
>

Bummer...  Your entry will be missed.  :-(

On the other hand, at least you have a real life.

I finally finished up my render, along with the two detail views.  Now I 
just have to work on the text to accompany it.  I didn't get everything in 
it that I had hoped, but I knew that wasn't entirely realistic.  Perhaps if 
I had taken a few days off work...  ;-)

-- 
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com
From: Tek
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 03:18:09
Message: <416c9e71$1@news.povray.org>
> How is everybody else getting on?

Not good.

Well, worse than that: I'm not entering.

I simply haven't made any progress on my entry for about the last month and a 
half. I completely lost motivation for the idea I was working on (besides which 
it was starting to take days to render). So I figured I'd review where I was at 
and see if I could come up with some new ideas... I couldn't :(

Anyway, combine that with a bunch of real life things (including most recently 
my PC shutting down whenever it hits 45 degrees!) and I finally had to give up 
hope of entering the competition... It's a shame, I *really* hope there's still 
a lot of people entering 'cause I want to see some beautiful images!

Good luck everyone
-- 
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com
From: Emperor Pygosceles
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 14:00:00
Message: <web.416d345a5a9c4f987d21ba300@news.povray.org>
"Vladimir" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im just doing some final tweaking to my image. Its not nearly as good as I
> had first planned but I guess changing computers and moving house were
> always going to take a lot of time. I have given up on my media idea, dont
> think I have enough time left to render it with that. My original plan was
> to use every feature in povray but I kinna abandoned that after some
> experiments.
>
> How is everybody else getting on?


Ugh.  It appears that nearly everyone who responds to this question has some
sad tale to relate.  I started my project about a month ago (still trying
to learn how to use POV-Ray) and since then have changed the theme three
times without having made significant progress.  Every spare moment of mine
gets devoured by some problem or other.  Even though I'm almost done with
my final project (~90%), there's no way I can finish in time...  Or is
there?  I guess at this point it just depends on how long the final render
takes. Considering the sporadic tides of homework, my chances of even
getting a finished entry in are practically nil.

Yep.  Another potential entrant demoted to an onlooker.  Can't wait to see
what the remaining three people who haven't dropped out will come up with!
From: Phlip
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 15:27:55
Message: <416d497b@news.povray.org>
Emperor Pygosceles wrote:

> Ugh.  It appears that nearly everyone who responds to this question has
some
> sad tale to relate.

Yeah. I can't get scrolling textures to work in OpenGL under Qt.

Oh - you meant a sad tale about POVray! Nope - this language wins by being
fiercely programmer-friendly.

> Yep.  Another potential entrant demoted to an onlooker.  Can't wait to see
> what the remaining three people who haven't dropped out will come up with!

How soon after Oct 15 do I get to see all the runners up?

-- 
  Phlip
  http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUserInterfaces
From: dan B hentschel
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 16:15:00
Message: <web.416d54575a9c4f98a3fcf12a0@news.povray.org>
Hmm... My main render will be done hopefully sometime tonight. I have no
idea if I can finish my two detail images in the next day or so. This thing
is a beast to render. Not necessarily because it's a great scene. Probably
more because I'm not a very efficient coder. :-[ I may have to compromise
on my detail renders (pick not-so-interesting parts of the scene) simply to
enter on time, but I most likely will make the deadline.

 - dan B hentschel
From: Emperor Pygosceles
Subject: Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
Date: 13 Oct 2004 17:45:00
Message: <web.416d68ba5a9c4f987d21ba300@news.povray.org>
"Phlip" <phl### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Emperor Pygosceles wrote:
>
> > Ugh.  It appears that nearly everyone who responds to this question has
> some
> > sad tale to relate.
>
> Yeah. I can't get scrolling textures to work in OpenGL under Qt.
>
> Oh - you meant a sad tale about POVray! Nope - this language wins by being
> fiercely programmer-friendly.


Actually, I certainly wasn't referring to POV-Ray itself, but the other
dependencies which restrict and inhibit it.  If POV-Ray was my whole world,
I would be a happier person (except that I can't eat virtual cheese :( and
I'd probably starve).  I have no complaints with POV-Ray, but the problem
is that I'm running it on a very buggy Windows XP system and it is the
sworn duty of all my teachers to prevent me from having a single moment of
my own to spend on things like raytracing.  Additionally, I need to get
some sleep once in a while.
 Example: I just finished my PSAT.  Now I have two hours to meander the
campus and post to this forum, etc. and then go to my classes.  I could
walk home and get in about 15 minutes of raytracing and then walk back.  Or
I could stay here and do my homework and just essentially waste my time in
a manner of my choosing.  Either way, it's pointless.  The net result is a
massive waste of time, whether I'm busy or not (although it would be nice
to not have to worry about the homework later).

That's my sad story.  I'm not giving up, though.  I'm going to do whatever I
can and hopefully I'll be able to get somewhere sometime.
....Sorry I spouted off.  I just had to blow off some steam and waste some
more time.



(BTW - Windows XP contains a very self-descriptive text smiley in its name)
I need to switch over to Linux.

Good luck to everyone else!  I hope you have more time, cheese, and
ingenuity than I do (believe me, that's not difficult)!
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.