POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Hows it all going- 4days to go : Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go Server Time
23 Apr 2024 20:46:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hows it all going- 4days to go
From: Emperor Pygosceles
Date: 13 Oct 2004 13:45:00
Message: <web.416d68ba5a9c4f987d21ba300@news.povray.org>
"Phlip" <phl### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Emperor Pygosceles wrote:
>
> > Ugh.  It appears that nearly everyone who responds to this question has
> some
> > sad tale to relate.
>
> Yeah. I can't get scrolling textures to work in OpenGL under Qt.
>
> Oh - you meant a sad tale about POVray! Nope - this language wins by being
> fiercely programmer-friendly.

Actually, I certainly wasn't referring to POV-Ray itself, but the other
dependencies which restrict and inhibit it.  If POV-Ray was my whole world,
I would be a happier person (except that I can't eat virtual cheese :( and
I'd probably starve).  I have no complaints with POV-Ray, but the problem
is that I'm running it on a very buggy Windows XP system and it is the
sworn duty of all my teachers to prevent me from having a single moment of
my own to spend on things like raytracing.  Additionally, I need to get
some sleep once in a while.
 Example: I just finished my PSAT.  Now I have two hours to meander the
campus and post to this forum, etc. and then go to my classes.  I could
walk home and get in about 15 minutes of raytracing and then walk back.  Or
I could stay here and do my homework and just essentially waste my time in
a manner of my choosing.  Either way, it's pointless.  The net result is a
massive waste of time, whether I'm busy or not (although it would be nice
to not have to worry about the homework later).

That's my sad story.  I'm not giving up, though.  I'm going to do whatever I
can and hopefully I'll be able to get somewhere sometime.
....Sorry I spouted off.  I just had to blow off some steam and waste some
more time.

(BTW - Windows XP contains a very self-descriptive text smiley in its name)
I need to switch over to Linux.

Good luck to everyone else!  I hope you have more time, cheese, and
ingenuity than I do (believe me, that's not difficult)!