POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:41:05 EDT (-0400)
  RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism
Date: 11 Jan 2011 08:54:46
Message: <4d2c6126@news.povray.org>
Hi:

   I found an strange problem when using he radiosity save/load
mechanism. My typical setup uses the same settings for both passes,
except that I set both "pretrace_start" and "pretrace_end" to 1, and
"always_sample" to off, on the loading pass. This saves a lot of
rendering time, which is my main purpose for using the save/load feature.

   This trick worked great for me until now... it always produced some
radiosity artifacts, but on the RC2 these artifacts change from run to
run, without changes to the code... this is a bit annoying, because
sometimes they are soft and subtle, but other times they are hard shaped
and very evident.

   Until I prepare a minimal scene showing the problem, does anyone
(clipka, I suppose... ;) know if any of the recent radiosity changes may
have induced this behavior? ...just by reading the release notes I don't
see anything too evident (to me).

   Regards,

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres