POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism : Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiositymechanism Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:05:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiositymechanism
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 13 Jan 2011 08:23:22
Message: <4d2efcca$1@news.povray.org>

> Hmmm ... IIRC aren't there a couple of parameters that /have/ to be
> the same during the save AND load passes in order to get the best
> results ... count and error_bound seem to be ringing a bell.

   Yes, and I'm using the same for both passes, except for pretrace start
and end, which I set to 1 on the second pass to save time. Also, until
now I was turning always_sample off in order to save more time, without
realizing that it was not necessary because there is no pretrace step on
the second pass.

> Having to specify always_sample on during load DOES seem to be
> contrary to why you would say off (default) ... time savings
>
> The doc passage:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_3.2#always_sample
>
>  seems to being saying that there MAY be cases that you would have
> to "override the behavior"

   As I said to Warp, I see now that I was misunderstanding what it does...

   Anyhow, I still don't get it: you would think that taking more samples
will be slow, but always better to reduce artifacts and get more
quality, isn't?

   Also, I don't understand why I get really weird, random artifacts if I
turn it off during the load pass (they were not there during the first
pass, for sure). I'm not using pretrace on the second pass (by setting
it to 1), so you would think that it should not matter if always_sample
is on or off...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia