POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism : Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiositymechanism Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:05:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiositymechanism
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2011 17:26:21
Message: <4d2f7c0d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2011 14:23, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:

> Anyhow, I still don't get it: you would think that taking more samples
> will be slow, but always better to reduce artifacts and get more
> quality, isn't?

The problem with "always_sample on" is that those additional samples
will be taken into account only for /some/ pixels (namely those pixels
that are computed after the respective sample is taken); so you get
areas that are more accurate than others, with hard boundaries between
them (render blocks for instance). That typically looks worse than
sticking with the less accurate result. (Unless the increase in accuracy
is extremely minor, but in that rare case there's obviously no point in
taking those additional samples anyway.)