POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism : Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:01:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 13 Jan 2011 04:49:40
Message: <4d2ecab4$1@news.povray.org>

> Until I prepare a minimal scene showing the problem, does anyone
> (clipka, I suppose... ;) know if any of the recent radiosity changes
> may have induced this behavior? ...just by reading the release notes
> I don't see anything too evident (to me).

   Ok, finally I found it... but took me a while to figure it out:
forcing "always_sample on" on the loading pass fixed the random
artifacts, or at least now they are not noticeable.

   It was a bit unexpected, as it always worked fine to set it "on"
during the save pass, and "off" during the loading pass... it even seems
to make sense: on the second pass you would just want to load the data
gathered on the first pass, without any extra calculation.

   The only explanation that seems to make sense is that "always_sample
off" was not working before, but now, with the recent change to "off" by
default, I need to turn it on for the second pass to avoid artifacts...
but I'm surely wrong, as usual.

   Regards,

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres