POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism : Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiositymechanism Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiositymechanism
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 15 Jan 2011 04:39:43
Message: <4d316b5f@news.povray.org>

>> What I don't understand
>> is why it wasn't giving me random artifacts before the change of the
>> default value...
>
> This whole thing is a puzzler to me, too; unfortunately I haven't found
> the time to dig into it yet. My only idea is that something might get
> garbled during saving/loading of the pretrace data.

   I guess there is more than one issue here... I've just tested with a
simple scene, *without* saving or loading radiosity, just a simple
radiosity scene, and I get different results at each run:

// -------------------------------------------
#version 3.7;

#include "rad_def.inc"
global_settings{
  radiosity{
  }
}

#default{texture{finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}}}

#include "colors.inc"

box{-.5,.5
   scale <10,3,10>
   pigment{White}
   translate 1.5*y
}

light_source{
  <0,2.99,0>
  White*3
  fade_distance 1
  fade_power 2
}

camera{
  location <1,1.6,-4>
  look_at <0,1.5,0>
}
// -------------------------------------------

   If I run two consecutive renders of this scene and difference the
results, with 3.6 I get a totally black image (as it was expected). With
3.7 I get visible differences... Using the save/load mechanism only
seems to make it worse and more noticeable.

   I'm starting to think this is a problem with my build... something
must have been gone wrong when compiling the RC2 sources, because I
don't see anywhere mentioned that radiosity samples are now random for
each run. Can anyone do a quick test?

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia