POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/load radiosity mechanism : Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiosity mechanism Server Time
28 Sep 2024 10:59:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [SOLVED] RC2: unpredictable artifacts when using the save/loadradiosity mechanism
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2011 17:34:04
Message: <4d2f7ddc$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2011 13:57, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:

> Having looked now to the wiki docs pointed by Jim, I see now that I
> always misunderstood what always_sample was doing... :( It has nothing
> to do with the load/save mechanism: it's all about the pretrace step.
>
> So, it makes sense to keep it turned on when you are NOT using
> pretrace on the loading pass, as it is my case.

No. I can imagine exactly /one/ reason to use "always_sample on": To
trim down on pretrace for a speedy low-quality render.

Other than that, it is absolutely, positively better to use more
pretrace, and set always_sample off (or at least that's the way it
should be, in the absence of any bugs).

> What I don't understand
> is why it wasn't giving me random artifacts before the change of the
> default value...

This whole thing is a puzzler to me, too; unfortunately I haven't found
the time to dig into it yet. My only idea is that something might get
garbled during saving/loading of the pretrace data.