POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually?
Date: 12 Mar 2004 11:18:05
Message: <4051e2bd$1@news.povray.org>
When render a totally empty scene at 160x120 (no AA) with settings "-f
+kff1600" I notice that the rendering slows down gradually all the time.
  This is a Windows version and happens with both 3.5 and 3.6 beta 1. It
can be easily seen by looking at the "Rendering frame X of 1600" line at
the bottom: it just slows down. Is it just me or does this happen to
everyone? What might cause this and is there any fix?

This is a little annoying when doing long animation runs as it would be
actually faster to render it in parts: stopping and starting regularly.

Severi S.

Post a reply to this message

> When render a totally empty scene at 160x120 (no AA) with settings "-f
> +kff1600" I notice that the rendering slows down gradually all the time.
>   This is a Windows version and happens with both 3.5 and 3.6 beta 1. It
> can be easily seen by looking at the "Rendering frame X of 1600" line at
> the bottom: it just slows down. Is it just me or does this happen to
> everyone? What might cause this and is there any fix?

I've noticed that too. It also does it on large images, even if the complexity
is constant throughout. If your scene renders quickly it can easily double the
time taken to render each frame.

I have no idea what the cause is, but it's *very* annoying!

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
> > When render a totally empty scene at 160x120 (no AA) with settings "-f
> > +kff1600" I notice that the rendering slows down gradually all the time.
> >   This is a Windows version and happens with both 3.5 and 3.6 beta 1. It
> > can be easily seen by looking at the "Rendering frame X of 1600" line at
> > the bottom: it just slows down. Is it just me or does this happen to
> > everyone? What might cause this and is there any fix?
>
> I've noticed that too. It also does it on large images, even if the
complexity
> is constant throughout. If your scene renders quickly it can easily double
the
> time taken to render each frame.
>
> I have no idea what the cause is, but it's *very* annoying!

Yes, I mentioned the 160x120 because the "phenomenon" is easier to see that
way but apparently the render size doesn't matter. Could someone check the
situation with other platforms like Unix or Mac? Or is this only a Windows
specific problem (I'm using Win2000)? And if the rendering can be done from
command line with Windows version, could someone check that also - just to
narrow it even a little. I'm now far away from my computer so I can't test
it at least this weekend. It could be possibly a _very_ efficient way to
improve animation rendering times if the problem gets solved.

Severi S.

Post a reply to this message

> I've noticed that too. It also does it on large images, even if the complexity
> is constant throughout. If your scene renders quickly it can easily double the
> time taken to render each frame.
>
> I have no idea what the cause is, but it's *very* annoying!

It should not double.  Most likely what you see is just memory fragmentation
(the message window does take memory!), and if you have too little memory
this will result in increased swapping.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

I have 2GB of 400MHz Corsair RAM, that is *not* the problem! :)

It only doubled when I had a very fast scene, it was as if there was some
constant overhead that progressively increased until it took as long as the
scene itself.

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com