POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually? : Re: Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually?
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 14 Mar 2004 05:20:46
Message: <405431fe$1@news.povray.org>
news:4052fc2b$1@news.povray.org...

> > I have no idea what the cause is, but it's *very* annoying!
>
> It should not double.  Most likely what you see is just memory
fragmentation
> (the message window does take memory!), and if you have too little memory
> this will result in increased swapping.

I have also seen the time almost double and definitely it "should not" :).
And it is very hard to believe that the message window is the reason (I have
a humble 512MB and 300MB was free). It can probably take memory, but
hundreds of megabytes is quite unlikely for a (say) 100 frame animation. I
tried to turn text output to minimum with "-GA" but it had no effect (IIRC).

BTW, (some of ) the overhead can probably also be seen by comparing the
total render time visible in lower right corner in GUI and the one reported
after the render in message window: there is also a huge difference. IIRC...

Severi