POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually? : Re: Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why does Pov-RAY 3.5/3.6 slow down gradually?
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 14 Mar 2004 16:27:45
Message: <4054ce51$1@news.povray.org>
>>> I have no idea what the cause is, but it's *very* annoying!
>>
>> It should not double. Most likely what you see is just memory
>> fragmentation (the message window does take memory!), and if you
>> have too little memory this will result in increased swapping.
>
> I tried to turn text output to minimum with "-GA" but it had no
> effect (IIRC).

And I didn't recall correctly :) Specifying "-ga" does get rid of the
slowdown so the message window is the reason for all this. It is
probably not about memory usage (at least not about swapping) but some
overhead that just grows and grows.

*Testing...*

Ok, the reason is the statistics stream. By turning it off, the speed
keeps constant. Maybe it is simply feeding too much stuff for my (or
any) AMD XP2600+ to keep up or something. I think this is something that
should be addressed at least in the docs (if there is no direct way to
"fix" it) as the impact on rendering times is quite considerable.

The odd thing is that it happens also when rendering something that
takes a lot more time/frame (then there should be enough time to output
the statistics). Even then the slowdown is happening.

Good thing is that I know how to get rid of it...

Severi