POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray on a network, for many users? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray on a network, for many users? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Frank 'Sputnik' Rothfuß
Subject: POV-Ray on a network, for many users?
Date: 18 Dec 2002 21:33:58
Message: <3E013016.6EB62436@computermuseum.fh-kiel.de>
Hi,

Here at the computermuseum and the planetarium at the 'Fachhochschule'
(University of Applied Sciences) in Kiel, Germany, we have a handful of
connected computers running windows 2000. Currently I'm using POV-Ray 3.1
installed locally on only one of these computers, but I want to have 3.5
on
*all* of them, and hopefully we'll have more POVers here. To avoid having
install POV-Ray on each of these computers, I would prefer to (let my adm
in)
install it only on the server and use it on all other computers via netwo
rk,
but of course running locally.

Is it possible (and sensible) to provide POV-Ray for these computers in t
his
way without any admin-activity (except for installation on the server)?

Will POV-Ray need to write to any directories on the server (when executi
ng
locally)?

Will each user have its own editor settings / list of open files / file q
ueue /
rerender and continue information / MRU list / POVRAY.INI / QUICKRES.INI
etc.?
If so: are the individual settings stored locally or are they available o
n all
computers?

What is different (during installation / for the users), compared to a lo
cal
one-user-installation?

What else do I need to know?

I would be glad if someone could help me with this.

   Sputnik

       union#macro            //+KFF9
                  F(R)cone{y.04<-3,2>.02
                          rotate(R-clock)*
x*45}#end{F(1)F(3)F(5)F(7)sphere{0 1}finish
                         {reflection 1phong
           1}pigment{rgb 1}translate<clock*
                          7-5,1,7>}sphere{
                 3-<3,9>5pigment{blue 5}
    }light_source              {-y,1}

-------------------------------------

e-mail: fr### [at] computermuseumfh-kielde
-------------------------------------

Post a reply to this message

> Here at the computermuseum and the planetarium at the 'Fachhochschule'
> (University of Applied Sciences) in Kiel, Germany, we have a handful of
> connected computers running windows 2000. Currently I'm using POV-Ray 3.1g
> installed locally on only one of these computers, but I want to have 3.5 on
> *all* of them, and hopefully we'll have more POVers here. To avoid having to
> install POV-Ray on each of these computers, I would prefer to (let my admin)
> install it only on the server and use it on all other computers via network,
> but of course running locally.
>
> Is it possible (and sensible) to provide POV-Ray for these computers in this
> way without any admin-activity (except for installation on the server)?
>
> Will POV-Ray need to write to any directories on the server (when executing
> locally)?

Povray can be installed on a network drive.
And it can write to a network drive (even if it is really ineffective).

In fact, an application usually does not care if the drive is local or
remote... but there is another issue: simultaneous usage of the same
files by different users...

> Will each user have its own editor settings / list of open files / file queue /
> rerender and continue information / MRU list / POVRAY.INI / QUICKRES.INI etc.?
> If so: are the individual settings stored locally or are they available on all
> computers?

There is three caveat: the Registry, ini/povengine.ini and renderer/rerun!
*.INI are usually in the shared installed "renderer" directory... you'd
better turn that subtree read-only once installed on the server, but I
do not know how to resolve conflict for rerun!
I'm afraid of conflict regarding ini/povengine.ini due to multiple
simultaneous access...

> What is different (during installation / for the users), compared to a local
> one-user-installation?

Every users will have to write to its registry part (local!), but the
files would need to be installed only once on the server...

> What else do I need to know?
>
> I would be glad if someone could help me with this.

Would it not be simpler to put the pov-installer on the server and let's every user
install povray locally

(even if it waste the local disk space) ?

Post a reply to this message