POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray on a network, for many users? : POV-Ray on a network, for many users? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:00:12 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray on a network, for many users?
From: Frank 'Sputnik' Rothfuß
Date: 18 Dec 2002 21:33:58
Message: <3E013016.6EB62436@computermuseum.fh-kiel.de>
Hi,

Here at the computermuseum and the planetarium at the 'Fachhochschule'
(University of Applied Sciences) in Kiel, Germany, we have a handful of
connected computers running windows 2000. Currently I'm using POV-Ray 3.1
installed locally on only one of these computers, but I want to have 3.5
on
*all* of them, and hopefully we'll have more POVers here. To avoid having
install POV-Ray on each of these computers, I would prefer to (let my adm
in)
install it only on the server and use it on all other computers via netwo
rk,
but of course running locally.

Is it possible (and sensible) to provide POV-Ray for these computers in t
his
way without any admin-activity (except for installation on the server)?

Will POV-Ray need to write to any directories on the server (when executi
ng
locally)?

Will each user have its own editor settings / list of open files / file q
ueue /
rerender and continue information / MRU list / POVRAY.INI / QUICKRES.INI
etc.?
If so: are the individual settings stored locally or are they available o
n all
computers?

What is different (during installation / for the users), compared to a lo
cal
one-user-installation?

What else do I need to know?

I would be glad if someone could help me with this.

   Sputnik

       union#macro            //+KFF9
                  F(R)cone{y.04<-3,2>.02
                          rotate(R-clock)*
x*45}#end{F(1)F(3)F(5)F(7)sphere{0 1}finish
                         {reflection 1phong
           1}pigment{rgb 1}translate<clock*
                          7-5,1,7>}sphere{
                 3-<3,9>5pigment{blue 5}
    }light_source              {-y,1}

e-mail: fr### [at] computermuseumfh-kielde