POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray on a network, for many users? : Re: POV-Ray on a network, for many users? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:38:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray on a network, for many users?
From: Frank 'Sputnik' Rothfuß
Date: 10 Jan 2003 10:26:42
Message: <3E1EE631.4D75D0B4@computermuseum.fh-kiel.de>
Hi,

now I'm back again.

Thank you for your help.
Simultaneous read-only access seems to be no problem: POV-Ray 3.1 works
fine with (huge!) .inc-files used at the same time by 2 instances of POV.

> Would it not be simpler to put the pov-installer on the server
> and let's every user install povray locally
> (even if it waste the local disk space) ?

Disk space is no problem, but installation on every single computer is
no fun:
 - only our admin is allowed to install programs
 - the current state of all computers is captured in system images, so ..
.
 - ... if I install a program, it will be erased when the system is resto
red
 - updates must be transferred to all computers, so I will have to find
   out on which computers any of the users has installed POV-Ray; then th
   update requires much time

What I would like to have is:
 1. only one installation of POV-Ray on the server by admin
 2. every user can use POV-Ray on every computer without any installation

    and without admin

Is this possible?

   Sputnik

e-mail: fr### [at] computermuseumfh-kielde