POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problem with Netscape 4.72 for Linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with Netscape 4.72 for Linux (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Problem with Netscape 4.72 for Linux
Date: 9 Apr 2000 18:04:19
Message: <oPvwOGI7RY2F9DdmGfNc7qSuabiW@4ax.com>
It only runs the first time. After I quit and restart it, it freezes
and has to be killed. If I delete the .netscape directory in my $HOME$
directory, it works. Why?

I am using Slackware 7.0 and the X server is OmniX under Windows.

Can anyone help me? I really need NS for my web design work but I
don't really want to install it on my Windows machine because I
already have IE 5.0 and in the [ast I've had severe problems with both
browsers on one machine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> It only runs the first time. After I quit and restart it, it freezes
> and has to be killed. If I delete the .netscape directory in my $HOME$
> directory, it works. Why?

There's a lock file in .netscape.  Try just nuking that and see if it
works.  That spares your bookmarks, your cache, etc.

> I am using Slackware 7.0 and the X server is OmniX under Windows.

I can't reproduce this.  I'm running Netscape 4.72 under Red Hat 6.2.

> Can anyone help me? I really need NS for my web design work but I
> don't really want to install it on my Windows machine because I
> already have IE 5.0 and in the [ast I've had severe problems with both
> browsers on one machine.

I've been running IE and Netscape on the same machine (same basic
reason) at work for some time, and it's been a while since I've had
problems.  I think perhaps Microsoft went on its best behavior after the
DOJ got after them.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

> I've been running IE and Netscape on the same machine (same basic
> reason) at work for some time, and it's been a while since I've had
> problems.  I think perhaps Microsoft went on its best behavior after the
> DOJ got after them.

I have IE4 and Netscape running compatibly without problems. I sometimes
even have them running at the same time browsing different websites.