POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 (Message 1 to 10 of 39)
From: Dawn McKnight
Subject: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8
Date: 1 Aug 2002 12:15:28
Message: <3D495F05.4050007@mac.com>
I was quite happy to see the Unix source released today.  I downloaded
it, ran the configure as root, ran make, and got this error:

Making all in src
g++ -DPREFIX=\"/usr/local\"
-DPOV_LIB_DIR=\"/usr/local/share/povray-3.5\"
-DCOMPILER_VER=\".Linux.gcc\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\"     `if [
"Xgcc" = "Xgcc" ]; then echo "-Wno-multichar"; fi ` -c bbox.cpp
In file included from bbox.cpp:47:
optout.h:49: #error You must complete the following DISTRIBUTION_MESSAGE
macro
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bbox.o'
Current working directory /home/dawn/stuff/povray-3.50a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

bbox.o was not created.  What is the DISTRIBUTION_MESSAGE macro that
must be completed, and how do I do that?

Please forgive my ignorance.

Post a reply to this message

> I was quite happy to see the Unix source released today.  I downloaded
> it, ran the configure as root, ran make, and got this error:

Open 'optout.h' in an editor. Search for '#error' (line 49), remove this
line and fill your name in the line below.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection

Post a reply to this message

>Open 'optout.h' in an editor. Search for '#error' (line 49), remove this
>line and fill your name in the line below.

Thank you; that worked, and I was able to get further.  Now it's
complaining that it can't find the library -lz in /usr/openwin/lib.

I did an ls of that directory, and see llib-lz and llib-lz.ln in there,
both set executable.  Do you have any suggestions what I should do to
make sure they're properly installed?  Or to help the compiler find them?

Post a reply to this message

From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 14:42:28
Message: <3d498113@news.povray.org>
Dawn McKnight wrote:

> Thank you; that worked, and I was able to get further.  Now it's
> complaining that it can't find the library -lz in /usr/openwin/lib.
>
> I did an ls of that directory, and see llib-lz and llib-lz.ln in there,
> both set executable.  Do you have any suggestions what I should do to
> make sure they're properly installed?  Or to help the compiler find them?

Can you give me the exact error message? I suppose it is looking for the
'z' library. This should be a file 'libz.so' somewhere on the harddisk.
Search for that.

I will try to compile it on solaris myself sometimes. BTW you could also
try to use sun's compiler. It is usually faster on solaris than gcc.

- Micha

From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 15:12:51
Message: <3D498899.7060903@mac.com>

>Can you give me the exact error message? I suppose it is looking for the
>'z' library. This should be a file 'libz.so' somewhere on the harddisk.
>Search for that.

Making all in src
g++  `if [ "Xgcc" = "Xgcc" ]; then echo "-Wno-multichar"; fi ` -static
-I/usr/openwin/include -o povray  atmosph.o bbox.o bcyl.o benchmark.o
bezier.o blob.o  boxes.o bsphere.o camera.o chi2.o colour.o colutils.o
cones.o csg.o  discs.o express.o file_pov.o fncode.o fnintern.o
fnpovfpu.o fnsyntax.o  fpmetric.o fractal.o function.o gif.o gifdecod.o
hcmplx.o hfield.o  histogra.o iff.o image.o interior.o isosurf.o
jpeg_pov.o lathe.o  lbuffer.o lightgrp.o lighting.o matrices.o media.o
mesh.o normal.o  objects.o octree.o optin.o optout.o parse.o parsestr.o
parstxtr.o  pattern.o pgm.o photons.o pigment.o planes.o png_pov.o
point.o poly.o  polygon.o polysolv.o pov_mem.o povms.o povmscpp.o
povmsend.o povmsrec.o  povray.o pov_util.o ppm.o prism.o quadrics.o
quatern.o rad_data.o  radiosit.o ray.o render.o renderio.o sor.o
spheres.o sphsweep.o  splines.o statspov.o super.o targa.o texture.o
tiff_pov.o tokenize.o  torus.o triangle.o truetype.o txttest.o
userdisp.o userio.o vbuffer.o  vlbuffer.o warps.o unix.o povxlib.o
-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -ltiff -lpng -lz -lm  -lX11
ld: fatal: library -lz: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to povray
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `povray'
Current working directory /home/regan/stuff/povray-3.50a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

I find libz.so, and several other libs in /usr/lib... is there a way to
add that to the library path on the makefile?

By the bye, if I haven't said it before, thanks for all your help.  I'm
really not too clear on a lot of this stuff, and having help from
someone who knows what they're doing is very meaningful.

Post a reply to this message

From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:16:53
Message: <3d499735@news.povray.org>
Dawn McKnight wrote:

> I find libz.so, and several other libs in /usr/lib... is there a way to
> add that to the library path on the makefile?

Probably there is also a way to tell it configure. But you can edit
src/Makefile and add '-L/usr/lib/' to 'LDFLAGS'. Might work. No guarantee :)

- Micha

From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:39:45
Message: <3D499CF6.3020405@mac.com>

>Probably there is also a way to tell it configure. But you can edit
>src/Makefile and add '-L/usr/lib/' to 'LDFLAGS'. Might work. No guarantee :)

Didn't.

I even tried replacing, instead of just adding.  No joy in mudville.

This is kind of why *nix isn't going to be replacing Winders as a
populist OS anytime soon.  Argh.

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd welcome them.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Date: 1 Aug 2002 18:32:35
Message: <pan.2002.08.01.22.36.31.878499.1550@povray.org>
Are you able to build any programs that link against zlib?

-Mark Gordon

From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 18:34:13
Message: <3D49B7CB.4000901@mac.com>
Mark Gordon wrote:

>Are you able to build any programs that link against zlib?

Honestly, I'm not sure what zlib is, or what programs might link against it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Date: 1 Aug 2002 18:34:38
Message: <pan.2002.08.01.22.38.35.547880.1550@povray.org>
The "requires editing to build" part made it into the core code at the
last minute.  I'm going to work on finding a friendlier way to do this.
Note that building from source is one aspect of 3.5 which hasn't goine
through extensive beta testing so far, so it's probably going to see more
changes.

-Mark Gordon