POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 : Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8
From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 15:12:51
Message: <3D498899.7060903@mac.com>

>Can you give me the exact error message? I suppose it is looking for the
>'z' library. This should be a file 'libz.so' somewhere on the harddisk.
>Search for that.

Making all in src
g++  `if [ "Xgcc" = "Xgcc" ]; then echo "-Wno-multichar"; fi ` -static
-I/usr/openwin/include -o povray  atmosph.o bbox.o bcyl.o benchmark.o
bezier.o blob.o  boxes.o bsphere.o camera.o chi2.o colour.o colutils.o
cones.o csg.o  discs.o express.o file_pov.o fncode.o fnintern.o
fnpovfpu.o fnsyntax.o  fpmetric.o fractal.o function.o gif.o gifdecod.o
hcmplx.o hfield.o  histogra.o iff.o image.o interior.o isosurf.o
jpeg_pov.o lathe.o  lbuffer.o lightgrp.o lighting.o matrices.o media.o
mesh.o normal.o  objects.o octree.o optin.o optout.o parse.o parsestr.o
parstxtr.o  pattern.o pgm.o photons.o pigment.o planes.o png_pov.o
point.o poly.o  polygon.o polysolv.o pov_mem.o povms.o povmscpp.o
povmsend.o povmsrec.o  povray.o pov_util.o ppm.o prism.o quadrics.o
quatern.o rad_data.o  radiosit.o ray.o render.o renderio.o sor.o
spheres.o sphsweep.o  splines.o statspov.o super.o targa.o texture.o
tiff_pov.o tokenize.o  torus.o triangle.o truetype.o txttest.o
userdisp.o userio.o vbuffer.o  vlbuffer.o warps.o unix.o povxlib.o
-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -ltiff -lpng -lz -lm  -lX11
ld: fatal: library -lz: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to povray
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `povray'
Current working directory /home/regan/stuff/povray-3.50a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

I find libz.so, and several other libs in /usr/lib... is there a way to
add that to the library path on the makefile?

By the bye, if I haven't said it before, thanks for all your help.  I'm
really not too clear on a lot of this stuff, and having help from
someone who knows what they're doing is very meaningful.