POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Prez Midnite
Subject: Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions
Date: 25 Jun 1999 12:42:15
Message: <3773B058.F95F0C48@NOSPAM.disinfo.net>
Hi...

I've just purchased [not installed yet] a 10.2 gig hard drive, onto
which I intend to install Linux. I'd like to keep my current 1 gig hard
drive running Win95, and have a dual boot system.

Now my dumb questions:

1) Will I be able to access my common files [POV, INC, TGA, MPEG, MP3,
HTML, etc.] from either OS? For example, could I render a .pov file that
is on my Windows drive from Linux POV, or vice versa?

2) The partitioning and formatting program that came with my hard drive,
EZ-Drive, is not compatible with Unix, according to the manual. How
should I go about preparing my new drive for Linux?

Thanks for any help! :)

Prez Midnite............... out.
e-mail:prezmid at disinfo dot net
http://netjunk.com/users/prezmid/
"I should have been a plumber." - Albert Einstein

Post a reply to this message

> I've just purchased [not installed yet] a 10.2 gig hard drive, onto
> which I intend to install Linux. I'd like to keep my current 1 gig hard
> drive running Win95, and have a dual boot system.
>
> Now my dumb questions:
>
> 1) Will I be able to access my common files [POV, INC, TGA, MPEG, MP3,
> HTML, etc.] from either OS? For example, could I render a .pov file that
> is on my Windows drive from Linux POV, or vice versa?

No question is dumb (nearly!). From Linux to the M$ world that's easy.
You can automatically mount the M$ partitions and Linux will be able to
read them and you can even write on them. I haven't heard anything the
other way round and it would surprise me knowing how much M$ tries to
ignore Linux.

> 2) The partitioning and formatting program that came with my hard drive,
> EZ-Drive, is not compatible with Unix, according to the manual. How
> should I go about preparing my new drive for Linux?

Depends upon the distribution. It would be normal to start Linux during
installation using a bootable diskette or if possible CD-ROM. Linux has
tools to partition harddrives and I found them to be very capable. SuSE
for example is fitted with a installation guide that helps you through
the steps. I don't know about Redhat, Debian ... I have only experience
up to 4 GB but I had no difficulties during installation.

I hope this one helps, somebody may have some more detail about the
preparation of the HD!

All the Best,

Marc

Post a reply to this message

> I've just purchased [not installed yet] a 10.2 gig hard drive, onto
> which I intend to install Linux. I'd like to keep my current 1 gig hard
> drive running Win95, and have a dual boot system.

Sounds vaguely familiar.  I have Linux, Win95, and WinNT on one of my
machines.  I'd like to add a few more operating systems when I have some
free time. ;-)

> 1) Will I be able to access my common files [POV, INC, TGA, MPEG, MP3,
> HTML, etc.] from either OS? For example, could I render a .pov file that
> is on my Windows drive from Linux POV, or vice versa?

If you have them on a vfat partition (Windows95 native), you'll be able
to see them from Linux.  The other method I use is to keep things on a
separate machine which I use as a file server.  I bought a used P-75 for
$150.  Of course, you also need networking hardware if you go that
route, but I had that stuff sitting around anyways.

> 2) The partitioning and formatting program that came with my hard drive,
> EZ-Drive, is not compatible with Unix, according to the manual. How
> should I go about preparing my new drive for Linux?

The program isn't compatible with Unix, but that doesn't mean the drive
isn't compatible.  I've found the various Linux partitioning tools to be
highly capable.  If you want to run Linux on the new drive, don't bother
with their formatting tools.  They'll set up the wrong sort of file
system anyways.  The short answer: just follow the installation
instructions for the distribution you're installing, and make sure you
don't repartition the old drive.  The partitioning software should see a
1GB drive and a 10.2 GB drive and let you partition just the latter.  If
that's the way it looks, you're in the clear.

Unix handles multiple block devices much more elegantly than does
Windows (even WinNT).  None of this c:\, d:\, e\: nonsense; you can
mount devices pretty much arbitrarily.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg

Post a reply to this message

Marc Schimmler <mar### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> writes:

> Prez Midnite wrote:
> >
> > Hi...
> >
> > I've just purchased [not installed yet] a 10.2 gig hard drive, onto
> > which I intend to install Linux. I'd like to keep my current 1 gig hard
> > drive running Win95, and have a dual boot system.
> >
> > Now my dumb questions:
> >
> > 1) Will I be able to access my common files [POV, INC, TGA, MPEG, MP3,
> > HTML, etc.] from either OS? For example, could I render a .pov file that
> > is on my Windows drive from Linux POV, or vice versa?
> >

> No question is dumb (nearly!). From Linux to the M$ world that's easy.
> You can automatically mount the M$ partitions and Linux will be able to
> read them and you can even write on them.

As far as I know, this isn't true for NTFS partitions. Currently, there
is a read-only driver for Linux. So, if you're using NT, you should set
up a (V)FAT partition for easy data exchange.

> > 2) The partitioning and formatting program that came with my hard drive,
> > EZ-Drive, is not compatible with Unix, according to the manual. How
> > should I go about preparing my new drive for Linux?
> >

> Depends upon the distribution. It would be normal to start Linux during
> installation using a bootable diskette or if possible CD-ROM. Linux has
> tools to partition harddrives and I found them to be very capable. SuSE
> for example is fitted with a installation guide that helps you through
> the steps. I don't know about Redhat, Debian ... I have only experience
> up to 4 GB but I had no difficulties during installation.

There are some limitations of the BIOS where to place the kernel. My
knowledge about this problem is purely theoretical, because my hard discs
are 1 and 2 GB large. Probably, you will buy a Linux distribution. Read
the sections about partitioning in the documentation that comes with it
_very_carefully_. This will probably save you a lot of time and prevent
you from reinstalling linux several times.

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm

Post a reply to this message