POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions : Re: Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 25 Jun 1999 15:03:07
Message: <3773D2FA.DA4A2A26@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Prez Midnite wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I've just purchased [not installed yet] a 10.2 gig hard drive, onto
> which I intend to install Linux. I'd like to keep my current 1 gig hard
> drive running Win95, and have a dual boot system.
>
> Now my dumb questions:
>
> 1) Will I be able to access my common files [POV, INC, TGA, MPEG, MP3,
> HTML, etc.] from either OS? For example, could I render a .pov file that
> is on my Windows drive from Linux POV, or vice versa?

No question is dumb (nearly!). From Linux to the M$ world that's easy.
You can automatically mount the M$ partitions and Linux will be able to
read them and you can even write on them. I haven't heard anything the
other way round and it would surprise me knowing how much M$ tries to
ignore Linux.

> 2) The partitioning and formatting program that came with my hard drive,
> EZ-Drive, is not compatible with Unix, according to the manual. How
> should I go about preparing my new drive for Linux?

Depends upon the distribution. It would be normal to start Linux during
installation using a bootable diskette or if possible CD-ROM. Linux has
tools to partition harddrives and I found them to be very capable. SuSE
for example is fitted with a installation guide that helps you through
the steps. I don't know about Redhat, Debian ... I have only experience
up to 4 GB but I had no difficulties during installation.

I hope this one helps, somebody may have some more detail about the
preparation of the HD!

All the Best,

Marc