POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions : Re: Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Newbie Pre-Install Questions
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 8 Jul 1999 03:13:11
Message: <37844FBF.EBEC0086@geocities.com>
Prez Midnite wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just wanted to thank ya'll for answering my questions. I finally got
> Red Hat Linux 5.0 installed! (Now I've just got to learn how to use it!)
> The dual boot works great... When I boot to Windoze, it behaves exactly
> the same as it did before... the Linux partition is invisible. I created
> a separate partition just for files that I want to access from both
> OS's... I'll find out if I can get to that from Linux once I get to that
> chapter in the book... or maybe I'll just flip ahead a little bit... ;)
>
> I went with Red Hat 5.0 because it came with the book I bought... Only
> now, I've noticed that the current release is 6.0... Should I upgrade
> before I do too much learning/configuring? Is there an "easy" way to go
> from 5.0 to 6.0, without buying a CD? Which GUI is the most fun for
> someone who is artistically minded? How do I install it? ;) Will it
> recognize my Voodoo3 2000 card?

Well, considering that 5.2 had been out for quite a while, you probably
should not waste too much time on 5.0.

I am using 6.0 (was 5.2) and the configuration is quite simple compared to
earlier versions.  6.0 also has a lot of the newer stuff, and has the 2.2
kernel. If you don't want to pay a lot of money, you can do what I and my
co-workers did. We just got together and ordered a lot of CD's from
Cheapbytes and split the shipping and handling. The have the free version
of 6.0 for $1.99 + S/H (I think my final cost was about $2.60).

BTW, 5.2 and 6.0 handle FAT and FAT32 volumes just fine, so on my
configurations Linux has access to all drives on my computer (I'm dual boot
also).

If you're artistcally minded, I'd also recommend checking out the
Enlightenment window manager. Also, on principal I suggest using GNOME for
the desktop and not KDE. (they are all on the RH 6.0 CD). Oh, and be sure
to check out the themes for GTK and Enlightenment.

http://www.enlightenment.org/
http://e.themes.org/
http://www.gimp.org/
http://gtk.themes.org/