POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestions for next POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:37 EDT (-0400)
  Suggestions for next POV-Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Roy Schulz
Subject: Suggestions for next POV-Ray
Date: 16 Jun 1998 16:31:56
Message: <3586D63C.DCB6F3F5@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
Is there something like a wish-list for the next version of POV-Ray?

Here are my suggestions:

1. In animations only things that change between frames should be
reparsed, i.e. the first parsing should recognize which changes will
occur later on (maybe by looking at the "count" variable). This would
save much parsing time in scenes with lots of non-moving objects (e.g.
trees with loads of branches, twigs and leafs).

2. Better radiosity with multiple interreflections. At
http://www.lightscape.com are nice samples how it should look. (This is
no critics. I know that radiosity is only experimental in POV 3.0)

3. Native support for L-Systems to create trees etc.

4. A fast preview, so that even animations could be previewed in
real-time on fast machines. Maybe polygon-based like game rendering
engines.

The suggestions above are in no way meant critical. I appreciate the
work of all POV-Ray programmers and supporters. I also appreciate that
POV-Ray is free and therefore I don't want to demand anything.
So if a POV-Ray "official" reads these lines, just take them as
suggestions. Maybe it isn't too difficult to realize one or two (or all
:-) of them.

Roy.

--

email: roy### [at] rcsurztu-dresdende
www:   http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~roy/

Post a reply to this message

Roy Schulz <roy### [at] rcsurztu-dresdende> writes:

> 1. In animations only things that change between frames should be
> reparsed, i.e. the first parsing should recognize which changes will
> occur later on (maybe by looking at the "count" variable).

  Could be. I think it would just need to add a boolean field in the
data structure. But I do not know whether it would or not significantly
reduce the parsing time, nor whether it would increase significantly
the paring time for still images.

> 2. Better radiosity with multiple interreflections. At
> http://www.lightscape.com are nice samples how it should look. (This is
> no critics. I know that radiosity is only experimental in POV 3.0)

  You said it, it is experimental.

> 3. Native support for L-Systems to create trees etc.

  I do not know about these.

> 4. A fast preview, so that even animations could be previewed in
> real-time on fast machines. Maybe polygon-based like game rendering
> engines.

  Ah hah. Not possible. POV-Ray is a ray tracer, and as such has no idea
of what a polygon is. For the preview, have you tried the -q option?

  Happy ray-tracing though,

Roland.
--

bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr -- Linux, POV-Ray, LaTeX

Post a reply to this message