POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestions for next POV-Ray : Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 7 Oct 2004 10:59:46
Message: <20041007155946.561afcdc@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
> 11. I would like a "flag" ("/overwrite", for instance) that would
> update an existing image (assuming the same size and type) when
> selecting a screen region. For instance, I adjust the reflectivity of
> a small object, highlight just that object, re-render it and the
> rendered results are written "in the right spot" into the target
> image, instead of the original image being deleted.

Ray-tracing doesn't work like that. POV-Ray doesn't compute the
projection of an object onto the image; instead, it fires rays from the
image and works out which objects they hit. Besides, to do this it would
also have to update all the object's reflections, shadows, etc...

--
A most peculiar man    With the windows closed      And Mrs Reardon says
He died last Saturday  So he'd never wake up  He has a brother somewhere