POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestions for next POV-Ray : Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray
From: Fran & Melissa
Date: 4 Jul 1998 07:23:58
Message: <359e02be.0@news.povray.org>
Guy Rauscher wrote in message <359### [at] netvisionnetil>...
> [...]
<sniped>

>No, no, you're all wrong. Firstly, everything except infinite objects
>can be approximated with triangle meshes using implicit surface
>approxiamtion techniques (This is most commonly used to convert blobs
>into triangle meshes), and infinite objects can be partially converted
>based on which part of them the camera catches. The fact that Povray is
>a raytracer doesn't mean that it *can't* generate polygon-based
>renderings. This could be an alternative rendering mode just for
>previews. This doesn't mean that this idea is any good though;
>Converting all of the objects into triangle meshes will probably take
>more time than it will save. Then again, maybe not, what do I know.
>
>Guy

Thou having a polygon of an object created that could then be rotated in
realtime for object creation would be very useful. Even if for example, it
takes twice as long to render to the meshes as just to render the picture.
For checking an object to then be able to rotate it, zoom in etc would be
helpful and a huge time saver.

Anyway Just my thoughts.

Fran.