POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:06:04 EDT (-0400)
  [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption (Message 11 to 20 of 55)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
Date: 24 Jan 2004 12:32:03
Message: <lnmae1-nhs.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> Yes, but there are two reasons for my approach:
> (1) Opening a 1Gb file in an external program, selecting some part,
>     saving it... all that for every view port is too much work for me.
> (2) The cut-down chunk needs extra calculations to make sure the
>     image map projection is exactly correct.
> My patch saves me from both these.
> [...]

I don't understand (2) and (1) of course is no more an issue with an
external program than it is with a POV-Ray patch.

> I was told the same argument some time ago. It read like "we did a
> complete rewrite of unix.cpp but you can do everything with the old
> version so feel free to send us patches for the old code".

No, please reread the past postings in this concern.  The proposal to
work on the unix specific part of the 3.5 code did only involve the X11
display code.  This is exactly as it is in 3.5 and the changes you made
there could be merged with the 3.6 code without any trouble.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message