POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Jan 2004 14:02:04
Message: <81sae1-9rh.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> (1) is easier with POVRay than with an external program and much faster
>     because POVRay simply reads part of the info while the external proggy
>     requires reading the complete info, processing it, write a part and
>     then make POVRay read that part.
> (2) the cut-down image will be projected around the complete e.g. sphere.
>     To make use of it, I need to scale and rotate the texture in a way
>     that the original size is restored. The patch does not require that.

Surely it is a matter of opinion if this is a useful patch - i can only
say that i personally never felt nor now feel the necessity for such a
feature and it offers nothing that would be impossible with external tools.

If you like this feature and therefore implement it that is of course
all right, i just have the impression that you interpret the lack of
interest in this patch as a lack of interest in people working on
improving POV-Ray in general.

> BTW, you did not comment on megapov.

There is nothing to comment on i think.  Thorsten pretty much summarized
the current situation of MegaPOV.  If you wanted to ask about inclusion
of your patch, this is mainly a matter of:

- quality of the patch and its documentation
- if it is regarded as useful and well usable by the MegaPOV Team
- if there is interest in the patch among users

And in any case not for MegaPOV 1.1 which already contains more than
enough new features.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______