POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 12:42:19
Message: <4012ae7a@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Well, then  start your own ray-tracer project.  Oh, well, wait, every
> single
> one ever started has died about as quickly.  Quality software development
> takes time, otherwise you would end up with bloated junk and broken 1.0
> designs!  For example Mozilla is a great example for a design broken from
> the beginning...

Thorsten, PLEASE!

I actually bet my evening dinner on you writing just that.

Please reduce a tiny bit your expression of the "POV-code-is-the-best-
code-in-the-world-and-all-other-programs-are-full-of-bugs-or-trivial"
theoreme.

From those bugs I have found myself in POV code, the code is not as
high-quality as you consider it to be. I am really sorry to say that
but sometimes it is healthy to face truth.

[BTW, I do not remember my mozilla ever crashing. But I remember
POVRay 3.5c (official) crashing. But I am using mozilla only when
konqi does not get along with a page...]

But stop. I do NOT want to start a discussion here about mozilla, the
linux kernel, XFree86, the different development models around etc.

Especially, I would ask you not to answer here, that if we would put
POVRay code in a public CVS and let all the world contribute, then the
code will be fubar within very short time.

This is correct.

And this has already been discussed long enough.

Regards,
Wolfgang