POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: Nicolas Calimet
Subject: Re: [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again)
Date: 12 Feb 2003 14:31:37
Message: <3E4AA117.5070308@free.fr>
> But what is the problem with that?  They are in two completely different
> directories!!!  It doesn't cause any problems for the other platforms, and
> didn't in the past ten years for Unix either, so why would it be a problem
> for Unix archives today?  If someone does not even bother to check about the
> directory they are in, well, sorry, a tiny bit of thinking is required when
> downloading software.

	Here I agree with Thomas.

	The point is that it's annoying to rename a file you want to
download when its content (the tar archive) is clearly containing the
version information. Untaring a povuni_s.tgz file can led to either
povray-3.50c/, povray31/ or povray30/ folders. A filename, as a variable of
function name, should be something explicit enough as to avoid
confusion. Futhermore it's been a long time that *nix systems are
not limited to 8 caracters in filenames.
	If you keep several versions of the povray tar file, you have
to rename it yourself, while it _can_ be done already for you (exactly
as a ./configure script is made for simplicity).

	I definitely vote (can I ?) for renaming:

povuni_s.tgz to povray-3.50c.tar.gz for the current version.

	It's obvious the source are therein. For binaries there
are all those .rpm or .deb extension. For seperated docs, a -doc
suffix can be added. The configuration scripts I recently proposed
are available as a povray-3.50c-config.tar.gz file.

	It's nothing to do for the POV-Team, but it clarifies things
a lot for all thousands -- billions ?  :o) of unix users.

	- NC

Post a reply to this message