POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) : Re: [patch] Let's get real again! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:59:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [patch] Let's get real again!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Feb 2003 17:26:30
Message: <3e4c1b96$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3e4c0b9a@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>> It is a program for users with a long history of stability.  None of the
>> other projects you mentioned has _all_ these attributes:
>>
> Sorry...
> I did not want to join this thread again but it seems the readers
> get to know your personal motivation for some of your optinions.

Well, I had at more than one occasion to deal with some of the projects you
mentioned.  And despite sufficient knowledge and a plain and normal system,
I have always had problems even when working on what the authors of that
software consider a standard configuration.  And I have looked at plenty of
Linux (kernel) code, which makes me seriously worry if the people who work
on it have any idea about quality at all.  Considering it is much younger
than the POV-Ray code base, it is a total complete mess of hacks over hacks
and completely unplanned software design.  Definitely not something I would
install an a production system.  I rather install an M$ system because there
I at least don't have to see how badly engineered the code is; and it can't
be worse than Linux code anyway...

> (Thorsten Froehlich, Thursday 06 February 2003 20:15:54):
>> The whole idea of the FSF and thus the GPL is to turn software development
>> and ownership of software into some kind of communism.  It seeks to strip
>> an elite group (programmers) from the right to make money from their
>> creative work and sole right to their work.  Instead the masses of
>> uneducated wannabe programmers are allowed to screw up the programs.
>
> [You probably noticed yourself that there are some right aspects but
> the way you put it here is more or less bullshit. No need for flame war.]

Oh, I indeed know that the way I put it is rather provocative... ;-)

>> FreeBSD    3,5,6
>> Linux      3,5,6,8
>>
> Note: Linux has 8 but FreeBSD not. Hm.
> So, running FreeBSD is not 8 but running KDE on FreeBSD _is_ 8...

Yes, because the FreeBSD license would allow even M$ to use code from it.

>> Xfree      3,6,7
> 7: Patching POVRay is easier than patching XFree86, at least for me.
> 6: Hm?

The 6 is there because the driver model is so unstructured.  It improved in
4.x of course...

>> Darwin     1,3,4,6
>>
> Note: Darwin does not have 8 but 6 ?!

No use can possibly install it on a Mac, really!  And large parts are forked
from FreeBSD.  the license allows hardly anybody to fork from this codebase,
so it isn't competitive, but just marketing.  Hence no 8.

In any case, the main point of the list is to show that all these projects
are very different from POV-Ray.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde