POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) : Re: [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:00:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again)
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 12 Feb 2003 15:05:10
Message: <3e4aa8f5@news.povray.org>
Thomas Willhalm wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>> In article <3e48f6f1@news.povray.org> , Thomas Willhalm
>> <tho### [at] uni-konstanzde>  wrote:
>>
>> There are no changes to the code that are not Unix specific.  Labeling
>> the code as you suggest would only cause confusion.
>
> Are you ignoring our point on purpose? We want _version_numbers_ in the
> _filename_. The archive for 3.5 with source code for unix is called
> povuni_s.tgz, the archive for 3.1g with source code for unix is called
> povuni_s.tgz, and the archive for 3.0 with source code for unix is called
> povuni_s.tgz. If you don't believe me, check it yourself on
> ftp.povray.org.

Well, that was not what I wanted to point out. Becuase the directory
these files are in identifies them. However, it is generally a good
idea to increase subversion or patchlevel numbers each time the
content of a file changes. Relaying on the modification time stamp
is a bit problematic and forces you to know which _date_ you last
updated.

I'm quite sure that NOT using such version numbers causes more confusion
than using them (at least as symlink).
OTOH I was again not aware that you actually have different source code
packages for different platforms (which is quite uncommon to me).

So, do what you think is best :)

However, if bandwidth is a problem for POVRay people, supplying
pachtes between different UNIX source code versions could help.
(Because I can either dl a patch at 4.5 kb/sec or dl complete POVRay
on the university account and create my own patch there...)
This, however, would require subversion/patchlevel numbers.

Wolfgang