POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) : Re: [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:44:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Feb 2003 04:52:43
Message: <3e4b6aeb$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3e4b6184@news.povray.org> , Thomas Willhalm
<tho### [at] uni-konstanzde>  wrote:

> Then I suggest that you stop completly distributing source code and include
> an expiration date in every binary. Otherwise you can't make sure that
> similar things will happen again.
>
> Again: What makes povray so different from all the projects I mentioned?

It is a program for users with a long history of stability.  None of the
other projects you mentioned has _all_ these attributes:

1. a long history
2. a stable source base
3. did not fork wildly or was abandoned for an extended period of time
4. cross-platform compatibility
5. all operating system support
6. user, rather than computer scientist centric
7. does require substancial knowledge about topic to make modifications
8. is more than a "I don't like M$ project"

The projects you mentioned don't have:

OpenOffice 1,2,7,8
GCC        3,6
KDE        3,5,7,8