POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) : Re: [patch] Let's get real again! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:54:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [patch] Let's get real again!
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 13 Feb 2003 16:18:20
Message: <3e4c0b9a@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> In article <3e4b6184@news.povray.org> , Thomas Willhalm
> <tho### [at] uni-konstanzde>  wrote:
>> Again: What makes povray so different from all the projects I mentioned?
>
> It is a program for users with a long history of stability.  None of the
> other projects you mentioned has _all_ these attributes:

Sorry...
I did not want to join this thread again but it seems the readers
get to know your personal motivation for some of your optinions.

Hint for the readers: Especially note point 8 in the list below and
combine it with:

(Thorsten Froehlich, Sunday 02 February 2003 13:56:19)
> The GPL comes with a
> political message that is not acceptable to all team members.
> It certainly isn't acceptable to me.

...and...

(Thorsten Froehlich, Thursday 06 February 2003 20:15:54):
> The whole idea of the FSF and thus the GPL is to turn software development
> and ownership of software into some kind of communism.  It seeks to strip
> an elite group (programmers) from the right to make money from their
> creative work and sole right to their work.  Instead the masses of
> uneducated wannabe programmers are allowed to screw up the programs.

[You probably noticed yourself that there are some right aspects but
the way you put it here is more or less bullshit. No need for flame war.]

Let's read on:

> 1. a long history
> 2. a stable source base
> 3. did not fork wildly or was abandoned for an extended period of time
> 4. cross-platform compatibility
> 5. all operating system support
"all OS support" wow...

> 6. user, rather than computer scientist centric
That depends on how you see it.

> 7. does require substancial knowledge about topic to make modifications
> 8. is more than a "I don't like M$ project"
>
> The projects you mentioned don't have:
>
> OpenOffice 1,2,7,8
OpenOffice used to be 8. But no longer IMO.

> GCC        3,6
> KDE        3,5,7,8
> Gnome      3,5,7,8
> FreeBSD    3,5,6
> Linux      3,5,6,8

Note: Linux has 8 but FreeBSD not. Hm.
So, running FreeBSD is not 8 but running KDE on FreeBSD _is_ 8...

> Xfree      3,6,7
7: Patching POVRay is easier than patching XFree86, at least for me.
6: Hm?

> Mozilla    1,2,7,8
I object to 8 here. You certainly know what IE is?!

> Apache     5,6,7
> Darwin     1,3,4,6

Note: Darwin does not have 8 but 6 ?!

> Blender    1,2,5