POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 4? wish list (Message 211 to 220 of 250)
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Subject: Re: Povray 4? wish list
Date: 6 Dec 2001 18:44:47
Message: <3c100331.45670161@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 00:01:20 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c0ff1d7.41227138@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
>'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
>
>> Also I don't know why I have to read everything about pov 3.5
>> on povray.co.uk and not on www.povray.org.
>
>Oh, you can read all about 3.5 on www.povray.org in the documentation.
>
>Personally I think users should discuss features they like on their pages.
>It is not the job of the POV-Team do create a page full of "marketing
>information" about POV-Ray.  Users being free to say what they like and
>dislike on their own independent page is much better, IMO.
>
>    Thorsten
Mabye you're right, but this makes life not so easy for newbies..

Post a reply to this message

From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 18:50:18
Message: <3c100413.45895452@news.povray.org>
On 6 Dec 2001 18:33:28 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce <ken### [at] uniplanit> wrote:
>: But, if
>: U don't have special needs that let U use gcc (because dunno it has a
>: special feature that U need), this compiler is really bad. If U want
>: I'll tell U why: it's slow, it lacks a good ide (kdevelop is shit, and
>: bugged) and a good ide boosts productivity, it lacks a good debugger
>: (SoftIce rules) and it lacks a good profiler too (VTUNE rules).
>
>  Bullshit.
>  What makes you think it's slow? I haven't noticed it being any slower than
>other compilers.
Mabye you should try other compilers better. My tests shows it's lots
slower (at least if U use a recent version, with ansi c++ and
templates) and I think that this is due to its internal portable
structure...

>  A properly configured Emacs and a proper knowledge of makefiles is the best
>IDE one may wish.
If u think so... I don't want to flame on this, really...

>  It does not lack a good debugger: gdb.
>  It does not lack a good profiler: gprof.
>  The code generated by it is quite good. For example for Sparc the speed
>of the code it generates is closely comparable to Sun's own optimized
>compiler. Gcc optimizes the size of the binary a lot better than Sun's
>compiler.
>
>--
>#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
>rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
>],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
>7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -

Post a reply to this message

From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 18:52:14
Message: <3c1004ab.46048026@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 00:43:01 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

As this thread is turning on the wrong way, I think it's the time to
stop it. I think that noone will be sad if I don't reply to this and
to other stuff about this thread. Sorry if I wasted your time

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 18:56:33
Message: <3c1005b1@news.povray.org>
In article <3c100048@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   It does not lack a good debugger: gdb.

Oh, come on!  You don't seriously want to call gdb a good debugger.
Debugging with printf is better!  Any high-level IDE based debugger wilkl
beat it in usability with sucess rates easily ten times hiugher than when
using gdb.  For $10K I can arrange a usability test (actually, i might be
able to get it for free...), if you would like.  Lets compare gdb with say
the CodeWarrior debugger on Windows.  If the total success rate of debug
tasks by programmers four who never used either debugger before, four who
used only gdb before and four who used only CodeWarrior before is not better
with CodeWarrior I donate, say US$500 to Unicef, if the CodeWarrior debugger
is better you donate the amount.

I am absolutely serious and confident about this!

    Thorsten

From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 19:05:05
Message: <3c10078e.46787360@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 00:56:25 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c100048@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>
>>   It does not lack a good debugger: gdb.
>
>Oh, come on!  You don't seriously want to call gdb a good debugger.
>Debugging with printf is better!  Any high-level IDE based debugger wilkl
>beat it in usability with sucess rates easily ten times hiugher than when
>using gdb.  For $10K I can arrange a usability test (actually, i might be
>able to get it for free...), if you would like.  Lets compare gdb with say
>the CodeWarrior debugger on Windows.  If the total success rate of debug
>tasks by programmers four who never used either debugger before, four who
>used only gdb before and four who used only CodeWarrior before is not better
>with CodeWarrior I donate, say US$500 to Unicef, if the CodeWarrior debugger
>is better you donate the amount.
>
>I am absolutely serious and confident about this!
For some ppl it's only a matter of taste... Well I think that features
are not a matter of taste but hey if U fell more productive with gdb I
can't tell U "use another thing". The only thing that makes me happy
is to see that many command-shell wizards now code in visualC and feel
absolutely fine... :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 19:05:25
Message: <3c1007c5@news.povray.org>
In article <3c1004ab.46048026@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:

> As this thread is turning on the wrong way, I think it's the time to
> stop it. I think that noone will be sad if I don't reply to this and
> to other stuff about this thread. Sorry if I wasted your time

OK.

As far as you suggestions are concerned, you now have a lot more information
than before.  Your are very welcome to create a patch to add i.e. nurbs or
to improve radiosity.

From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 19:08:44
Message: <3c100889.47038044@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 01:05:19 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c1004ab.46048026@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
>'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
>
>> As this thread is turning on the wrong way, I think it's the time to
>> stop it. I think that noone will be sad if I don't reply to this and
>> to other stuff about this thread. Sorry if I wasted your time
>
>OK.
>
>As far as you suggestions are concerned, you now have a lot more information
>than before.
That's true...

> Your are very welcome to create a patch to add i.e. nurbs or
>to improve radiosity.
I don't think I'll do that. The only thing I really want to do is the
java distribuited rendering tool, I think I'll do it for an university
exam (well, when I will do that exam) so if noone finds it useful at
least I've done something useful for me

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 6 Dec 2001 19:13:32
Message: <3c1009ac@news.povray.org>
: Oh, come on!  You don't seriously want to call gdb a good debugger.
: Debugging with printf is better!  Any high-level IDE based debugger wilkl
: beat it in usability with sucess rates easily ten times hiugher than when
: using gdb.  For $10K I can arrange a usability test (actually, i might be
: able to get it for free...), if you would like.  Lets compare gdb with say
: the CodeWarrior debugger on Windows.  If the total success rate of debug
: tasks by programmers four who never used either debugger before, four who
: used only gdb before and four who used only CodeWarrior before is not better
: with CodeWarrior I donate, say US$500 to Unicef, if the CodeWarrior debugger
: is better you donate the amount.

  This just says that the Codewarrior debugger is better than gdb. I have
no objections to that. I have never used that debugger, but if you say it's
better, I have no reason to not to believe you.
  However, the fact that there exist debuggers that are better than gdb
doesn't make the latter "bad".
  It also depends on the definition of "good". I wasn't thinking about
"easy-to-use graphical interface" when I said "good". I was thinking that it
does what it is supposed to.
  (In the same way one could claim that LaTeX is not good because it has
no graphical user interface and it's not WYSIWYG. Here the definition of
"good" is not the quality of the result, but ease of use. In my opinion
LaTeX is excellent, but I don't base my opinion on graphical interfaces.)

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 19:22:01
Message: <3c100ba9@news.povray.org>
In article <3c1009ac@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   This just says that the Codewarrior debugger is better than gdb. I have
> no objections to that. I have never used that debugger, but if you say it's
> better, I have no reason to not to believe you.
>   However, the fact that there exist debuggers that are better than gdb
> doesn't make the latter "bad".

Ah, I knew you would say that.  I have actually used a few more debuggers
and they all were better, but I haven't used them recently so any statement
about their usability would not be serious :-)

See, even the interface of a low level debugger can be much better than
anything gdb offers.  If you have access to any Macintosh at all, install
the low level debugger "MacsBugs" which you find on Apple's page (installing
requires to reboot!).  You can then activate it any time with the key
combination Apple+Power.  Once you have seen and used its text interface you
will realise how "bad" gdb is, really!

    Thorsten

From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 19:39:11
Message: <3c100fd8.48908977@news.povray.org>
>  This just says that the Codewarrior debugger is better than gdb. I have
>no objections to that. I have never used that debugger, but if you say it's
>better, I have no reason to not to believe you.
>  However, the fact that there exist debuggers that are better than gdb
>doesn't make the latter "bad".

"  A properly configured Emacs and a proper knowledge of makefiles is
the best
IDE one may wish."

Being the "best" should mean that no other thing is better than it...