POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Python and POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Python and POVRay (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Daniel Lin
Subject: Re: Python and POVRay
Date: 14 May 2001 22:09:26
Message: <3b008fd6@news.povray.org>
"Daniel Lin" <dli### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> How far along is this CSDL thing?  This question is akin to seeing into
the
> future, but is CSDL a possibility for the scene description language for
> POV-Ray 4.0?
> (just wondering)
I'm wondering because I was thinking about creating a XMLish scene
description language with scripting capabilities, sorta like Microsoft's WSH
files, when I ran across this thread.  BTW, if an alternate scene
description language comes into existence, would a pre-processor or a custom
build of POV-Ray be preferred?  (not like I have the programming ability to
do either, but, hey, I can dream, right?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 May 2001 09:00:09
Message: <3b0279d9@news.povray.org>
Daniel Lin <dli### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> How far along is this CSDL thing?

I haven't had much time to work on it, but I'm still deciding on how
the basic language syntax will be...the interpreter is not even
partially implemented.

> This question is akin to seeing into the future, but is CSDL a
> possibility for the scene description language for POV-Ray 4.0?

My CSDL project is entirely separate from and completely unrelated to
the POV-Team's work on POV 4.0. According to the last status report,
(http://www.povray.org/3.5-status.html), there may be a language
redesign, but the POV Team will be doing the language design.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom
Home Page: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 May 2001 10:44:55
Message: <3b053566@news.povray.org>
Daniel Lin <dli### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I'm wondering because I was thinking about creating a XMLish scene
> description language with scripting capabilities, sorta like
> Microsoft's WSH files, when I ran across this thread.

Well, CSDL won't be anything like XML. I don't know anything about
Microsoft's WSH stuff, sorry.

> BTW, if an alternate scene description language comes into
> existence, would a pre-processor or a custom build of POV-Ray be
> preferred?  (not like I have the programming ability to do either,
> but, hey, I can dream, right?)

A preprocessor would be better, you could then distribute the .pov
files to people who don't have the CSDL preprocessor. It would also be
much easier to debug...and you wouldn't have to release separate
versions for the official POV and MegaPOV or whatever other patches
might be out there...and people who avoid patched versions won't avoid
using a separate utility.

From: Risto Varanka
Date: 22 Jul 2001 11:23:23
Message: <3b5aefeb@news.povray.org>
Funny, I was just about to restart work on my Python project for
creating .pov files when I came across this thread ;)

Creating our scenes using programming languages is a rather
interesting subject, because programming languages are
extremely powerful. We can define the scene in our own
concepts and build our own interfaces. We can integrate with the
rest of the OS platform, eg. to visualize IP router or WWW server
logs :) I had been thinking of many of the ideas people proposed
in this thread, it only strikes me as funny that nobody proposed
reading the objects etc. to render from a SQL database ;)

The Povray scene description language can be fairly simple and bare
bone, as we can always create our own complex systems to describe
scenes. However, I doubt if another, general purpose scene
description language can be that useful. Povray users will use
the software for very different things, and they like to work
at various abstraction levels, for various aspects of their
scenes. I like to do stuff like

for i in range(24):
        angle = i * pi / 12
        x = cos(angle)
        y = sin(angle)
        bigtower(30 * x, 30 * y)

Which will place 24 towers with detailed decorations in a circle...
could be extended to put connectors between them, etc.

I use a simple Python program(s) to write the objects in a .pov file.
It is in procedural style and doesn't do very much yet, but it's
quite handy for my purposes.

But my project is more than that: it's a complete solution for
handling Povray projects. I use Python, shell scripts and make
to create the .pov file and render it. I'll need to add creating
new projects and archiving existing ones to it.

I thought it could be added to the Debian GNU/Linux distribution
as a package. I think you could run it on other platforms as well,
because UNIX-like environments are available there. I gather there
are similar projects out there, so maybe I'll just do some minor
contributions to one, instead of reinventing the wheel.

--
Risto Varanka

Post a reply to this message

From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 26 Jul 2001 06:30:35
Message: <3B5FF1C4.4010904@iol.it>
Risto Varanka wrote:

> Funny, I was just about to restart work on my Python project for
> creating .pov files when I came across this thread ;)
>
> Creating our scenes using programming languages is a rather
> interesting subject, because programming languages are
> extremely powerful. We can define the scene in our own
> concepts and build our own interfaces. We can integrate with the
> rest of the OS platform, eg. to visualize IP router or WWW server
> logs :) I had been thinking of many of the ideas people proposed
> in this thread, it only strikes me as funny that nobody proposed
> reading the objects etc. to render from a SQL database ;)

Well, here I announce it officially: I am doing this thing, using Java.
I have to first stabilize a foundation library then I will be able to
start delivering JPOVAPI (Java POVray API). I expect to cover most of
Pov3.1 by Christmas 2001.

Bye!!!

P.S.: no more requests for POV language improvements. I do not need them
anymore...

Post a reply to this message

From: Maan M  Hamze
Date: 20 Aug 2001 12:51:38
Message: <3b81401a@news.povray.org>
Just a note:
Did you check Breeze Designer?  It allows for using any script language
including Python, if the ActiveX scripting engine is installed on Windows.
Maan

"Risto Varanka" <var### [at] ikifi> wrote in message
> Funny, I was just about to restart work on my Python project for
> creating .pov files when I came across this thread ;)
>
> Creating our scenes using programming languages is a rather
> interesting subject, because programming languages are
> extremely powerful. We can define the scene in our own
> concepts and build our own interfaces. We can integrate with the
> rest of the OS platform, eg. to visualize IP router or WWW server
> logs :) I had been thinking of many of the ideas people proposed
> in this thread, it only strikes me as funny that nobody proposed
> reading the objects etc. to render from a SQL database ;)
>
> The Povray scene description language can be fairly simple and bare
> bone, as we can always create our own complex systems to describe
> scenes. However, I doubt if another, general purpose scene
> description language can be that useful. Povray users will use
> the software for very different things, and they like to work
> at various abstraction levels, for various aspects of their
> scenes. I like to do stuff like
>
> for i in range(24):
>         angle = i * pi / 12
>         x = cos(angle)
>         y = sin(angle)
>         bigtower(30 * x, 30 * y)
>
> Which will place 24 towers with detailed decorations in a circle...
> could be extended to put connectors between them, etc.
>
> I use a simple Python program(s) to write the objects in a .pov file.
> It is in procedural style and doesn't do very much yet, but it's
> quite handy for my purposes.
>
> But my project is more than that: it's a complete solution for
> handling Povray projects. I use Python, shell scripts and make
> to create the .pov file and render it. I'll need to add creating
> new projects and archiving existing ones to it.
>
> I thought it could be added to the Debian GNU/Linux distribution
> as a package. I think you could run it on other platforms as well,
> because UNIX-like environments are available there. I gather there
> are similar projects out there, so maybe I'll just do some minor
> contributions to one, instead of reinventing the wheel.
>
> --
> Risto Varanka

Post a reply to this message

From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 21 Aug 2001 06:42:20
Message: <3b823b0c@news.povray.org>
The Breeze Designer I knew did not allow for that...

Which version? Any pointers?

Post a reply to this message

From: Maan M  Hamze
Date: 21 Aug 2001 11:24:49
Message: <3b827d41@news.povray.org>
Vadim
Breeze Designer 2.07 and later extends the use of Macros into using any
installed ActiveX scripting Engine (Mark Hammond's EXCELLENT ActiveState
PythonWin distribution provides such an engine:    www.activestate.com)
Check Breeze Designer's page at:
http://www.imagos.fl.net.au/
Go to Development and then Macro Reference:  Quote:
Macro Language Reference
Breeze Designer 2.0.7 and later now use the Microsoft ActiveScript engine to
run macros. This means macros may be written in Visual BASIC, JavaScript,
PerlScript or **PythonScript** depending on the interpreters loaded.
No updates are shown for this modeller, which is a shame.  It is quite a
one-man ambitious project with so much potential.
Maan