POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : United POV-Ray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  United POV-Ray? (Message 21 to 30 of 37)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: United POV-Ray?
Date: 14 Oct 2002 13:04:47
Message: <chrishuff-F232E0.12595014102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3daa9738@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> Trying to decipher all the text posted by people and getting the good
> opinions can be a big job... Who is going to do it?

Ahem...
http://news.povray.org/povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions/16707/

;-)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 14 Oct 2002 14:49:13
Message: <3DAB128E.5070400@starman.ee>
Thomas Willhalm wrote:
 > Vahur Krouverk wrote:
 >
 >> Seems like there is quite interest in this proposal. To be more
 >> concrete: 1. Is out there anyone, who can provide (CVS?) server for
 >> unofficial POV-Ray releases?
 >

 > What about sourceforge?

Yeah, I thought about this too, but I'm not familiar with terms of use
of Sourceforge. Main concern here is, that POV_Ray is not OS of GPL
software and I don't know, wheter such software could be developed in
Sourceforge (i.e. whether there are restrictions from Sourceforge or
POV-Team or POV-Ray license part). And I'm not very good in reading this
pretty print either :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 14 Oct 2002 14:56:01
Message: <3DAB1425.7060303@starman.ee>
ABX wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:09:42 +0300, Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] starmanee>
> wrote:
>
>>Seems like there is quite interest in this proposal. To be more concrete:
>>1. Is out there anyone, who can provide (CVS?) server for unofficial
>>POV-Ray releases?
>

> If you mean such a server for 4.0 rewrite it will be probably holded by the
> team somehow. But you mean 3.5 patches, right ?
Right.

> I'm trying to do PoPOV as good
> as I can but I'm limited with family requirements and company tasks. I can't
> set up CVS in my own domain (art.pl) becouse art.pl is special domain here in
> Poland and has special rules. But I can ask my friend to create some account
> on the same server my abx.art.pl is located on. That's what I can do.

Would be good, unless someone else provides resources for this.

> Being maintainer on such system is a big responsibility. Such a person should
> also has knowledge about povray itself and has some commercial packages as
> POV-Team use. But in general being maintainer of such creation seems larger
> responsibility than being POV-Team Member.

Yes, I know, that this is bad position for anyone: no fame but hard work
and blame :-)
But I guess that need for commerical packages is not so important, more
important is programming experience and knowledge of POV-Ray.

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 14 Oct 2002 15:03:44
Message: <e05mqugtjds5g4lut1bchg52tki62l42bn@4ax.com>
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:59:49 +0300, Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] starmanee>
wrote:
> But I guess that need for commerical packages

Unfortunatelly effective win app prepared for modern processors can't be
compiled with BCC 5.5. You have to have C++ made by Microsoft, Intel or
probably newest BCC.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 14 Oct 2002 15:13:34
Message: <3DAB1843.50809@starman.ee>
ABX wrote:

 > Unfortunatelly effective win app prepared for modern processors can't
 > be compiled with BCC 5.5. You have to have C++ made by Microsoft,
 > Intel or probably newest BCC.

Yes, but compilation with more effective compiler could be made by
someone else, maintainer would just be responsible for source code.

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 14 Oct 2002 15:16:06
Message: <9p5mqu46l513g9jchqkk0cdn3ni48rvkur@4ax.com>
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:17:23 +0300, Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] starmanee>
wrote:
> Yes, but compilation with more effective compiler could be made by
> someone else, maintainer would just be responsible for source code.

What about cheap macintosh compilation ?

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Micha Riser
Date: 14 Oct 2002 15:26:50
Message: <3dab1a79@news.povray.org>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> Seems like there is quite interest in this proposal. To be more concrete:
> 1. Is out there anyone, who can provide (CVS?) server for unofficial
> POV-Ray releases?

I can set up CVS server on the povworld.org server. I am not an expert in
CVS but I guess I could install it and the server has a more-or-less
reliable connection to the net.

- Micha

--
objects.povworld.org - The POV-Ray Objects Collection
book.povworld.org    - The POV-Ray Book Project

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 14 Oct 2002 15:38:54
Message: <tk6mqukdl86ad295ulsan6j5oqmti2e0hn@4ax.com>
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:26:43 +0200, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
> > Seems like there is quite interest in this proposal. To be more concrete:
> > 1. Is out there anyone, who can provide (CVS?) server for unofficial
> > POV-Ray releases?
>
> I can set up CVS server on the povworld.org server. I am not an expert in
> CVS but I guess I could install it and the server has a more-or-less
> reliable connection to the net.

If there are no objections from the team around CVSed development of patched
3.5 and if you can setup some account for me, Micha, I think I can become
buildmaster for such server (unless You want to do it yourself). I can deliver
my PoPOV as initial version for such development. During further development
we can drop some *_PATCH definitions already included there. I have already
some ideas for directory structure for such multiplatform enviroment so
perhaps I could have best start for it. Can we use povray.unofficial.patches
as unofficial 'official' forum for this task then ?

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Oct 2002 16:35:35
Message: <chrishuff-CEAD4B.16303814102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <9p5mqu46l513g9jchqkk0cdn3ni48rvkur@4ax.com>,
 ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> > Yes, but compilation with more effective compiler could be made by
> > someone else, maintainer would just be responsible for source code.
> What about cheap macintosh compilation ?

Apple provides a version of GCC and good IDE tools (ProjectBuilder and
InterfaceBuilder) for free. It can't compile the Mac version of POV
though, that requires CodeWarrior which is not cheap. It can compile the
command line version and there is a 3rd party Cocoa GUI out there,
though it is very incomplete.
I don't know if a ProjectBuilder project can be made with the current
Carbon GUI source...I doubt it could be done without a lot of work, but
I don't know a lot about Carbon.

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Oct 2002 16:53:54
Message: <3DAB2EE1.C1AAB087@gmx.de>
ABX wrote:

> [...]
>
> If there are no objections from the team around CVSed development of patched
> 3.5 and if you can setup some account for me, Micha, I think I can become
> buildmaster for such server (unless You want to do it yourself). I can deliver
> my PoPOV as initial version for such development. During further development
> we can drop some *_PATCH definitions already included there. I have already
> some ideas for directory structure for such multiplatform enviroment so
> perhaps I could have best start for it. Can we use povray.unofficial.patches
> as unofficial 'official' forum for this task then ?

If i may bring up some of my suggestions on that matter again.

Before getting into action setting up a repository of patches it would IMO
be good to develop some standards concerning the patches submitted to such
a collection.  My main concerns in that direction were:

- a common documentation format.
- rules for the source code (like marking all changes with preprocessor
#ifdef's)
- rules for modification of existing patches (bugfixes, improvements).
Only by the original author or by everyone?
- organizing frequent compiled versions for the most important platforms.
Like Vahur pointed out these do not necessarily have to be made by the
maintainers of the patch collection.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>