POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : United POV-Ray? : Re: United POV-Ray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: United POV-Ray?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Oct 2002 16:53:54
Message: <3DAB2EE1.C1AAB087@gmx.de>
ABX wrote:

> [...]
>
> If there are no objections from the team around CVSed development of patched
> 3.5 and if you can setup some account for me, Micha, I think I can become
> buildmaster for such server (unless You want to do it yourself). I can deliver
> my PoPOV as initial version for such development. During further development
> we can drop some *_PATCH definitions already included there. I have already
> some ideas for directory structure for such multiplatform enviroment so
> perhaps I could have best start for it. Can we use povray.unofficial.patches
> as unofficial 'official' forum for this task then ?

If i may bring up some of my suggestions on that matter again.

Before getting into action setting up a repository of patches it would IMO
be good to develop some standards concerning the patches submitted to such
a collection.  My main concerns in that direction were:

- a common documentation format.
- rules for the source code (like marking all changes with preprocessor
#ifdef's)
- rules for modification of existing patches (bugfixes, improvements).
Only by the original author or by everyone?
- organizing frequent compiled versions for the most important platforms.
Like Vahur pointed out these do not necessarily have to be made by the
maintainers of the patch collection.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,