POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Object oriented POV scene language? (Message 53 to 62 of 72)
From: OpenMined
Subject: Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
Date: 7 Feb 2001 03:34:12
Message: <3a810884$1@news.povray.org>
Matthew Webster <mat### [at] nospamvirginnet> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever thought of using a straight C++ interface for POV?
> It seems the language is slowly growing that way anyway but its all
getting
> a bit messy with more and more switches etc.

Why limit it to any particular language?  The ImageMagik folks apparently
provide a versatile interface so that scripting can be done in  Java, Perl,
Python, etc.

Speaking of Python, I'm only a very short period into it, but it seems VERY
clean and manageable so far.

(Please, no language 'jihad' being provoked here... just an honest first
impression.)

Post a reply to this message

OpenMined <**Mail Free America**> wrote:

> Why limit it to any particular language?  The ImageMagik folks apparently
> provide a versatile interface so that scripting can be done in  Java, Perl,
> Python, etc.

> Speaking of Python, I'm only a very short period into it, but it seems VERY
> clean and manageable so far.

I've often thought of constructing a set of objects for visual scenes in
python, with some kind of reader that produced POV script.  Python is a very
clean and simple language, but provides a level of power that POV-script
just doesn't at this time.

Geoff

Post a reply to this message

> I've often thought of constructing a set of objects for visual scenes in
> python, with some kind of reader that produced POV script.  Python is a
very
> clean and simple language, but provides a level of power that POV-script
> just doesn't at this time.

If you can make the time, I'm sure more than a few of  us would appreciate
the effort.   I have found the scenes which a mere page of POV-Script can
produce utterly astonishing.   Nevertheless, I suspect that the synergy of
combining the POV engine with Python would be extremely productive.

Post a reply to this message