POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: OpenMined
Date: 7 Feb 2001 21:18:45
Message: <3a820205@news.povray.org>
Just beginning to investigate Python, but will offer these comments...

> > Python is a very clean and simple language, but provides a level of
> > power that POV-script just doesn't at this time.
>
> Hmph. I personally don't like what I have seen of it, but I've never had
> to do anything in it, and a lot of people do seem to like it.

Sometimes we grow to like what we're "used to."  And suspect the rest.

> I mainly don't like the way loops and things don't have a visible
> closing,

How about   "# end" or whatever you choose?   :-)

> and the fact that it is sensitive to white space.

One of the very things I like.  Something to be said for enforcing a modicum
of visual structure, since a paramount issue is code maintenance, not just
generation.  In fact, if I adopt Python for major projects involving
multiple programmers, I would welcome a scheme which enforces comments
beginning in, say, column 60, and a minimum number of comments per page.

> And though it
> is supposed to be object oriented, the code I've seen doesn't look very
> object oriented to me.

Isn't it possible to find C++ code which is not object oriented?  May be due
in part to the fact that Python is relatively new.  Are you aware of any
aspect of object oriented design philiosophy, as commonly defined, which is
missing in Python?  (I may not view that as a fatal flaw, but would like to
know.)