POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  A Proposal for XML POV (Message 1 to 10 of 50)
From: Nigel Stewart
Subject: A Proposal for XML POV
Date: 14 Mar 2000 08:15:20
Message: <38CE3B1A.80B4F27@nigels.com>
(crossposted from povray.general - "The Language of POV" thread)

If you've got an itching, an interest, or a burning desire
for XML based POV data storage, speak now.  Please don't
recycle the flames from the previous thread... :-)
What I would like to do is develop a proposal - do more
conceptual development, demonstrate more advantages,
consider the implications for the Povray architecture.

Ken Tyler on the idea of XML for Povray:

> >         If there are other people who find these
> >         possibilities attractive, I would be interested
> >         in developing a more detailed proposal.  Some
> >         aspects would require interaction with the
> >         POV team, or the TAG people - but I think it's
> >         fair to present them with more than a
> >         "we think XML is funky idea" or have them
> >         sift through threads of conceptual development
> >         and hysterical backlash.
>
>   Speaking as a TAG member I will offer this advice. If you can get other
> people excited about your ideas, and between you draft a concrete proposal,
> I would be happy to present it to the POV-Team on your behalf for their
> consideration. It would really help if you could figure out a way to make
> all of us understand the ramifications of your proposal, and get us excited
> about it, but if you are sure it has merit I/we will not stand in your way.
>
> What you need to bring to the table -
>
> 1. Detail your proposal as far as functionality and purpose.
>
> 2. Describe in detail what advantages your proposal has over the current
>    system.
>
> 3. Who benefits from the changes or additions of your proposal.
>
> 4. Try to give some indication of how difficult it will be to implement
>    and what kind of language support will be needed to make it portable
>    to all platforms that POV-Ray currently supports.
>
>   Remember that if you cannont get other people here excited about your
> proposal there is little likelihood the POV-Team will get excited about
> it. Also remember that timing may be everything. Right now the POV-Team
> is actively working on finalizing the release of POV-Ray v3.5 which for
> all intents and purposes should be considered feature locked at this time.
> This means from the POV-Team's point of view any action they might take
> towards your proposal will have to wait for their planned C++ re-write
> for POV-Ray v4.0. As far as I know the POV-Team has not entered into
> any detailed discussions on what changes will be made in v4.0, other
> than the move to C++, and it is likely they will want to have their own
> data structure decided before accepting additional suggestions in this
> regard. Their internal discussions will likely be sometime down the
> road when the release of POV-Ray v3.5 has been made public and they have
> had a chance to hammer the public reported bugs out of it.
>
> Keep this in mind...
>
> What you are proposing may actually be better suited for a dedicated
> patch of the program rather than something the mainstream POV-Ray user
> will be interested in having in the official version of the program.

The previous post:

> So what exactly are you suggesting? That POV should use XML for data
> representation and should internally convert POV-Script to XML as well
> as supporting XML input?

        I've been giving this some thought today, pondering the
        technicalities as well the unexpected hysteria generated
        on povray.general and the IMP list.  Every day I go to
        work improving a software product, trying to deliver the
        features that users are asking for.  I get a lot of
        satisfaction from finding elegant, robust and user
        friendly solutions to new problems.  But, in the context
        of povray, the mere suggestion of some kind of paradigm
        shift seems to upset people very quickly.

        Anyway - here is a more concrete model of how I think
        povray data input should be handled.  There needs to
        be a clean and simple interface between the POV parser
        implementation and the core POVray raytracing engine.
        This API might look like a bunch of simple functions
        such as "bool insertSphere(...)" which is as minimal
        as possible, while supporting all of the POV data types.
        Things like loops, variables and macros should be
        strictly layered above this API.  This API would also
        make a nice DLL interface, eventhough the POVteam
        don't like the idea of POV being used as a library.
        The existing parser simply becomes one possible user
        of this API.  Text editing die-hards can do whatever
        they please, without any threat from trendy programmer
        types who want to do different things.  Another user
        of this API could be an interpreted C environment,
        POV-CSDL, XML, or whatever takes people's fancy.
        The POV-team control the "official" API, but allow
        people to build on top of it freely.  Ideally, the
        API is also made available as DLL so that Java, C,
        Delphi, etc programmers can do whatever they like,
        in the language of their choice.

        This handles input.  Another question is output -
        would it be useful and desirable to provide some
        mechanism to extract the state of a POV world
        at runtime?  Maybe, maybe not.  I do not intend
        to deal with this at this stage.

        Before closing, a few points about an XML pov
        that perhaps have not been stated clearly:

        XML is certainly not customised for the problem
        of text editing descriptions of 3D scenes.  It's
        not bad, but it's not ideal.

        XML is a mechanism that would allow third party
        tools to manipulate POV scenes.  You load the
        data in, edit geometry, textures, etc, then
        save the data out.  One critical limitation in
        POV script is the difficulty in parsing it.
        In some ways, POV script has been so heavily
        optimised for hand editing (in addition to
        the macro and looping constructs) that it
        is much more complicated than it needs to be
        for many other tasks.

        XML is a mechanism that simplifies extension.
        You don't need to be a parser expert to define
        new data types, or to add attributes to objects.
        Because the grammar is less ambigous (taking
        advantage of verbosity) an XML parser can
        ignore irrelevant data - but preserve it.
        Backwards compatibilty in a scheme like POV
        script is a more difficult problem.

        XML allows POV to take advantage of related
        technology such as VRML.  To support VRML
        datatypes, we simply borrow the grammar -
        no parser programming necessary.  To support
        a new procedural texturing architecture, we
        borrow their grammar, no parser programming
        necessary.  (There is a big difference between
        writing a parser and writing handlers for
        an XML parser)

        If there are other people who find these
        possibilities attractive, I would be interested
        in developing a more detailed proposal.  Some
        aspects would require interaction with the
        POV team, or the TAG people - but I think it's
        fair to present them with more than a
        "we think XML is funky idea" or have them
        sift through threads of conceptual development
        and hysterical backlash.

        XML is of immediate commercial interest to me
        for other projects, so I can justify a lot of
        time as developing expertise. ("homework")
        I think that there should be at least a
        group of people involved, and a healthy
        discussion, in combination with some
        public relations.  If you think that XML
        is an interesting technology to apply to
        POVray, are just curious about XML, I would
        encourage you to drop me an email.

        XML does not mean manual editing of tags
        in a text editor.  People that keep harping
        on this are just being silly.  But I am quite
        convinced that text editing should become a
        thing of the past.  (I never can remember
        the RGB or even name for "that favorite
        blueish grey" that I always like to use, nor
        should I have to remember junk like that.)

--
Nigel Stewart (nig### [at] nigelscom)
Research Student, Software Developer

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:14:02 +1100, Nigel Stewart <nig### [at] nigelscom>
wrote:

>(crossposted from povray.general - "The Language of POV" thread)
>
>If you've got an itching, an interest, or a burning desire
>for XML based POV data storage, speak now.  Please don't
>recycle the flames from the previous thread... :-)
>What I would like to do is develop a proposal - do more
>conceptual development, demonstrate more advantages,
>consider the implications for the Povray architecture.

I would certainly like to see what could be done with XML.
Unfortunately, I am not really a programmer. If there is anything I
can help with, I will. I just don't know how much help I will be.

Later,
Glen Berry

Post a reply to this message

Nigel Stewart wrote in message <38C### [at] nigelscom>...
>        Anyway - here is a more concrete model of how I think
>        povray data input should be handled.  There needs to
>        be a clean and simple interface between the POV parser
>        implementation and the core POVray raytracing engine.
>        This API might look like a bunch of simple functions
>        such as "bool insertSphere(...)" which is as minimal
>        as possible, while supporting all of the POV data types.
>        Things like loops, variables and macros should be
>        strictly layered above this API.

I'm not particularly interested in an XML POV-script.  However, completely
separating the parser from the renderer to allow other languages to be used
for writing POV scenes without going through the intermediary of POV-Script
sounds like an excellent idea.

Mark

Post a reply to this message