POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : UV mapping and POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  UV mapping and POV (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: UV mapping and POV
Date: 13 May 1998 00:14:52
Message: <35591E3C.AFD6EEBF@ltu.edu>
If UV mapping were to be implemented in POV , which of the following would you
prefer?

  1)  regular vs. UV mapping is set for each OBJECT
  2)  regular vs. UV mapping is set for each PIGMENT, TEXTURE, or NORMAL.

-------------------
Choice (1) example:

bicubic_patch
{
  uv_mapping
  texture { NeatWoodTexture }
}

-------------------
Choice (2) example:

bicubic_patch
{
  texture { uv_mapping NeatWoodTexture }
}

-------------------

Choice (2) would be more flexible, but creates some interesting questions when
you get into more complicated textures (like texture averages, layered
textures, and texture_map stuff).  With choice (2), you could do fun things
like a normal 3D wooden texture with a UV-mapped dirt texture over it.

Choice (2) is also a bit more difficult to impliment (what I've got now is
probably full of bugs, but it looks really cool).

I personally think that choice (1) is much cleaner and will likely cause fewer
problems overall.  I also don't think that it is overly restricting.

Comments?

-Nathan Kopp

Post a reply to this message